A KHOMASDAL community pre-primary school which has been educating children since 1970 faces an uncertain future after government’s decision not to renew its lease.
The Vrolike Vinkies Pre-Primary School, which teaches 150 children between the ages of three and six, could permanently close by 31 December 2015, if the Ministry of Works and Transport, which owns the school building, does not reverse its decision.
The school, which has six classrooms, is planning to celebrate its 45th birthday in late October but fears it will not live to see another year.
The shocking revelation came after the principal, Stella-Maris van Rooyen-Mouton, allegedly received a letter from the ministry on 27 July after the lease ended in June, informing them that their contract will not be renewed and gave them until 31 December to vacate the building.
The school’s board chairperson, Floriana Kisting, confirmed the possible closure yesterday, but said they are working to find a solution with the hope that the ministry will reconsider its decision.
“We had a meeting with the permanent secretary two weeks ago and their response was positive. But we would only know by next Wednesday if they will reconsider their decision,” said Kisting.
Sources close to the school say the contract was not renewed because the ministry of education wants the building turned into a public school due to the classroom shortage being experienced in the Khomas region.
Education ministry’s spokesperson Johanna Absalom yesterday said: “I am informed that the ministry’s directorate of education, arts and culture in the Khomas region had written to the ministry of works for the building.”
Absalom did not give further details.
Kisting said letters about the possible closure had already been sent to parents, but the school said they are not going to give up without a fight and assured parents that an amicable solution will be reached.
“If the ministry does not get back to us by next week Wednesday, we will push for further talks with them,” she said.
Permanent secretary at the works ministry Willem Goeieman yesterday said he was in Angola and could not comment.
“Come and see me at my office on Monday to talk about this,” he said, before referring The Namibian to his secretary.
Van Rooyen-Mouton, who has been the school’s principal for the past 14 years, said they invested a lot in the maintenance of the school, spending as much as N$56 000 per year to replace the tiles, install air conditioning and spent about N$20 000 on electricity. She said the school does not have sponsors and mostly survives on fundraising activities, adding that they cannot afford another building as they do not have enough funds.
The school has eleven staff who could all be unemployed if it is closed. For the last 45 years, Van Rooyen-Mouton says the school has been priding itself of being the safest, with good facilities and offering moral education.
“We are possibly the best and most affordable pre-primary school in Khomasdal,” said Van Rooyen-Mouton.
She said parents and former pupils of the school have been sympathetic and supportive after receiving the news.
“It will really be such a shame and a loss to the Khomasdal community if we have to close down, but we are positive government will be understanding,” she said.






