Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Thatcher out on bail over ‘merc’ plot

Thatcher out on bail over ‘merc’ plot

HARARE – A Zimbabwe magistrate is expected to hand down verdicts today when the trial resumes of 70 suspected mercenaries held here on charges of plotting a coup in oil-rich Equatorial Guinea.

The men, who include Briton Simon Mann, are accused of being at the heart of a conspiracy that allegedly includes Mark Thatcher, son of former British prime minister, Margaret Thatcher. Mark Thatcher, a friend and neighbour of Mann’s, was arrested at his Cape Town home on Wednesday and charged under South Africa’s foreign military assistance Act, which bars mercenary activity, for allegedly bankrolling the coup plot.He denied the charges and was released on bail.Judgment against Mann and his alleged accomplices comes in the same week as the trial of 18 other suspected coup plotters commenced in Equatorial Guinea.South African businessman, Nick du Toit, this week admitted in a Malabo court to giving logistical support to the alleged coup.He said he was hired by Mann.In Harare, defence lawyer Jonathan Samkange said yesterday the events taking place in Equatorial Guinea and South Africa would have “no bearing whatsoever” on his clients’ trial.”My clients are not facing any charges in relation to coups,” he said.Zimbabwe, unlike South Africa, does not have laws that cover mercenary activities planned on foreign soil.A second defence lawyer, Alwyn Griebenow, said he was confident the magistrate would hand down a “not guilty” verdict against his clients.”I’m quite sure that he’s going to hand down judgment (today) and we expect him to find our clients not guilty, based on the evidence we have presented,” Griebenow said.- Nampa-AFPMark Thatcher, a friend and neighbour of Mann’s, was arrested at his Cape Town home on Wednesday and charged under South Africa’s foreign military assistance Act, which bars mercenary activity, for allegedly bankrolling the coup plot.He denied the charges and was released on bail.Judgment against Mann and his alleged accomplices comes in the same week as the trial of 18 other suspected coup plotters commenced in Equatorial Guinea.South African businessman, Nick du Toit, this week admitted in a Malabo court to giving logistical support to the alleged coup.He said he was hired by Mann.In Harare, defence lawyer Jonathan Samkange said yesterday the events taking place in Equatorial Guinea and South Africa would have “no bearing whatsoever” on his clients’ trial.”My clients are not facing any charges in relation to coups,” he said.Zimbabwe, unlike South Africa, does not have laws that cover mercenary activities planned on foreign soil.A second defence lawyer, Alwyn Griebenow, said he was confident the magistrate would hand down a “not guilty” verdict against his clients.”I’m quite sure that he’s going to hand down judgment (today) and we expect him to find our clients not guilty, based on the evidence we have presented,” Griebenow said.- Nampa-AFP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News