Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Sudan’s Beshir wanted for ‘genocide’

Sudan’s Beshir wanted for ‘genocide’

THE HAGUE – The International Criminal Court’s top prosecutor yesterday called for the arrest of Sudan’s President Omar al-Beshir for genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes in Darfur.

Beshir had “masterminded and implemented” a plan to destroy a large portion of three ethnic groups in the western Sudanese region, prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said in a statement released in The Hague. His appeal to the court’s judges marked the first ever request to the ICC for an arrest warrant against a sitting head of state.Moreno-Ocampo’s bold move came despite fears and warnings that it could enflame tensions in Darfur and lead to the expulsion of aid workers and peacekeepers in Sudan’s troubled western region.Sudan immediately rejected the call as damaging to Darfur peace hopes, but British Prime Minister Gordon Brown urged Khartoum to cooperate with the court.In Cairo, the Arab League said foreign ministers are to hold an emergency meeting on Sudan on Saturday to discuss the prosecutor’s call.The White House on Monday urged all parties “to remain calm,” in its first reaction to the prosecutor’s call.The Argentine prosecutor told journalists after delivering the statement that “what happened in Darfur is a consequence of Beshir’s will”.”The crime of genocide is a crime of intention.Beshir had the intention to destroy the Fur, Masalit and Zaghawa ethnic groups,” engaged in a rebellion in Darfur.”Bashir failed to defeat the armed movements so he went after the people.His motives were largely political.His alibi was a ‘counterinsurgency’.His intent was genocide,” the prosecutor said.The prosecutor’s office said there were “reasonable grounds to believe Beshir bears criminal responsibility in relation to 10 counts of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes”.Judges will now examine the application to ascertain whether reasonable grounds exist to believe that a crime within the court’s jurisdiction had been committed, before deciding whether to issue a warrant or not – a procedure that could take several months.Moreno-Ocampo is insistent: “Bashir is the president.He is the commander in chief.Those are not just formal words.He used the whole state apparatus, he used the army, he enrolled the militia/Janjaweed.They all report to him.They all obey him.His control is absolute.”Khartoum, which rejects the ICC’s jurisdiction and refuses to surrender two war crimes suspects already named, warned that the move could threaten peace efforts.The UN says up to 300 000 people have died since the Darfur conflict broke out in February 2003.The Sudanese government puts the death toll at 10 000.Nampa-AFPHis appeal to the court’s judges marked the first ever request to the ICC for an arrest warrant against a sitting head of state.Moreno-Ocampo’s bold move came despite fears and warnings that it could enflame tensions in Darfur and lead to the expulsion of aid workers and peacekeepers in Sudan’s troubled western region.Sudan immediately rejected the call as damaging to Darfur peace hopes, but British Prime Minister Gordon Brown urged Khartoum to cooperate with the court.In Cairo, the Arab League said foreign ministers are to hold an emergency meeting on Sudan on Saturday to discuss the prosecutor’s call.The White House on Monday urged all parties “to remain calm,” in its first reaction to the prosecutor’s call.The Argentine prosecutor told journalists after delivering the statement that “what happened in Darfur is a consequence of Beshir’s will”.”The crime of genocide is a crime of intention.Beshir had the intention to destroy the Fur, Masalit and Zaghawa ethnic groups,” engaged in a rebellion in Darfur.”Bashir failed to defeat the armed movements so he went after the people.His motives were largely political.His alibi was a ‘counterinsurgency’.His intent was genocide,” the prosecutor said.The prosecutor’s office said there were “reasonable grounds to believe Beshir bears criminal responsibility in relation to 10 counts of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes”.Judges will now examine the application to ascertain whether reasonable grounds exist to believe that a crime within the court’s jurisdiction had been committed, before deciding whether to issue a warrant or not – a procedure that could take several months.Moreno-Ocampo is insistent: “Bashir is the president.He is the commander in chief.Those are not just formal words.He used the whole state apparatus, he used the army, he enrolled the militia/Janjaweed.They all report to him.They all obey him.His control is absolute.”Khartoum, which rejects the ICC’s jurisdiction and refuses to surrender two war crimes suspects already named, warned that the move could threaten peace efforts.The UN says up to 300 000 people have died since the Darfur conflict broke out in February 2003.The Sudanese government puts the death toll at 10 000.Nampa-AFP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News