Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

N Korea agrees to fresh nuke talks

N Korea agrees to fresh nuke talks

SEOUL – North Korea yesterday agreed to attend talks in Beijing next month aimed at setting up a fresh round of six-nation negotiations on its nuclear weapons drive, but warned of a “hurdle” ahead.

Confirming the working group meeting to open on May 12 in the Chinese capital, the North Korean foreign ministry spokesman said Pyongyang wanted to discuss compensation for freezing its nuclear programs. “The DPRK (North Korean) side will attend this meeting to discuss the proposal ‘reward for freeze’ under any circumstances,” he told the official Korean Central News Agency.But he warned Washington’s demand for complete, verifiable and irreversible dismantling (CVID) of North Korea’s nuclear programs might overshadow prospects for the talks.”The US seems to stick to its stand to demand Pyongyang’s CVID of its nuclear program.But that will only throw a higher hurdle in the way of the talks,” he warned.China and South Korea also confirmed the meeting of lower-level working officials in Beijing from May 12.The meeting is open-ended.A row over North Korea’s nuclear program has been deadlocked since October 2002, when Washington said the Stalinist state had broken a 1994 nuclear freeze by launching a secret weapons drive.Two rounds of six-party talks – bringing together the two Koreas, the United States, Japan, China and Russia – have failed to narrow differences over the US demand and Pyongyang’s denial that it was running an enriched-uranium program.A new round of talks is expected before the end of June.Working parties are to be set up to resolve contentious issues.Deputy Foreign Minister Lee Soo-Hyuck, South Korea’s chief delegate to the six-way talks, described the forthcoming working-group talks as a “preparatory meeting” to help the six-nation negotiations go smoothly.The date for the working group meeting was fixed after a visit by North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il to China last week.China praised Kim for helping facilitate the meeting by expressing “willingness to participate in the six-party talks and achieve the final goal of the denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula” during his visit.- Nampa-AFP”The DPRK (North Korean) side will attend this meeting to discuss the proposal ‘reward for freeze’ under any circumstances,” he told the official Korean Central News Agency.But he warned Washington’s demand for complete, verifiable and irreversible dismantling (CVID) of North Korea’s nuclear programs might overshadow prospects for the talks.”The US seems to stick to its stand to demand Pyongyang’s CVID of its nuclear program.But that will only throw a higher hurdle in the way of the talks,” he warned.China and South Korea also confirmed the meeting of lower-level working officials in Beijing from May 12.The meeting is open-ended.A row over North Korea’s nuclear program has been deadlocked since October 2002, when Washington said the Stalinist state had broken a 1994 nuclear freeze by launching a secret weapons drive.Two rounds of six-party talks – bringing together the two Koreas, the United States, Japan, China and Russia – have failed to narrow differences over the US demand and Pyongyang’s denial that it was running an enriched-uranium program.A new round of talks is expected before the end of June.Working parties are to be set up to resolve contentious issues.Deputy Foreign Minister Lee Soo-Hyuck, South Korea’s chief delegate to the six-way talks, described the forthcoming working-group talks as a “preparatory meeting” to help the six-nation negotiations go smoothly.The date for the working group meeting was fixed after a visit by North Korean leader Kim Jong-Il to China last week.China praised Kim for helping facilitate the meeting by expressing “willingness to participate in the six-party talks and achieve the final goal of the denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula” during his visit.- Nampa-AFP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News