Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Foreign journalists allowed in Tibet

Foreign journalists allowed in Tibet

China yesterday announced the surrender of hundreds of people over anti-government riots among Tibetans and allowed the first group of foreign journalists to visit the regional capital since the violence.

The moves appear calculated to bolster government claims that authorities are in control of the situation and that the protests that began peacefully were acts of destruction and murder. The protests embarrassed and frustrated the government ahead of this summer’s Beijing Olympics, leading it to flood Tibet with troops and ban foreign journalists.The protests took a violent turn on March 14, when rioters set hundreds of fires in Lhasa and attacked ethnic Chinese.State-run media announced that more than 600 people had turned themselves in to police in the Tibetan capital, Lhasa, and in Sichuan province, where unrest also broke out.Police also had published a list of 53 people wanted in connection with the riots, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.At least 29 people have been formally arrested.The first several hours of the visit gave the group only a limited glimpse of Lhasa.Although Chinese state television has been repeatedly showing scenes of damage from the riots there was little visible destruction in the areas of Lhasa where reporters were taken.Armed police in camouflage uniforms were stationed at several places that appeared to be government offices.Machine guns were strapped across their chests, the highest state of readiness.Asked to comment on the government-organised trip, the Dalai Lama called it a “first step” and said he hoped the trip would take place “with complete freedom.Then you can access the real situation.”The uprising was the broadest and most sustained against Chinese rule in almost two decades.Thousands of troops and police have been deployed to contain the unrest.The government says at least 22 people have died in Lhasa; Tibetan rights groups say nearly 140 Tibetans were killed, including 19 in Gansu province.Nampa-APThe protests embarrassed and frustrated the government ahead of this summer’s Beijing Olympics, leading it to flood Tibet with troops and ban foreign journalists.The protests took a violent turn on March 14, when rioters set hundreds of fires in Lhasa and attacked ethnic Chinese.State-run media announced that more than 600 people had turned themselves in to police in the Tibetan capital, Lhasa, and in Sichuan province, where unrest also broke out.Police also had published a list of 53 people wanted in connection with the riots, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.At least 29 people have been formally arrested.The first several hours of the visit gave the group only a limited glimpse of Lhasa.Although Chinese state television has been repeatedly showing scenes of damage from the riots there was little visible destruction in the areas of Lhasa where reporters were taken.Armed police in camouflage uniforms were stationed at several places that appeared to be government offices.Machine guns were strapped across their chests, the highest state of readiness.Asked to comment on the government-organised trip, the Dalai Lama called it a “first step” and said he hoped the trip would take place “with complete freedom.Then you can access the real situation.”The uprising was the broadest and most sustained against Chinese rule in almost two decades.Thousands of troops and police have been deployed to contain the unrest.The government says at least 22 people have died in Lhasa; Tibetan rights groups say nearly 140 Tibetans were killed, including 19 in Gansu province.Nampa-AP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News