Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Ex-SAS head to lead response to Indian attacks

Ex-SAS head to lead response to Indian attacks

MELBOURNE – Australia said yesterday the former head of its elite Special Air Service (SAS) regiment will lead a task force examining attacks on Indian students that have provoked outrage on the sub-continent

Foreign Minister Stephen Smith said Duncan Lewis, now the government’s national security adviser, chaired the task force’s first meeting yesterday and would coordinate Australia’s response to the assaults.’Through this task force the Australian government is showing its resolve to play its part in collaboration with the states to respond to this very serious issue,’ Smith told parliament.Canberra has been stung into action by a furious response in India to a series of attacks on students in Australia, particularly in the southern city of Melbourne.Indian media have extensively reported the violence, dubbing them ‘curry bashings’ and splashing with headlines such as ‘Australia, land of racists.’Victoria, the state at the centre of the furore, said it would introduce hate laws so that judges can take account of prejudice against a particular group of people when sentencing for a crime.The changes would apply to hate crimes prompted by religion, sexual orientation and gender, as well as race.’It may lead, in certain circumstances, to increased penalties,’ Victorian state Attorney-General Rob Hulls said.’What we’re looking at is ensuring that judges take into account whether or not a crime has been committed purely based on hatred or vilification of a particular group.’Hulls said the changes should be introduced by the end of the year.Students in Melbourne also highlighted the issue at a peaceful city-centre rally which ended in scuffles as it was broken up by police early on Monday.Footage of police dragging students away was beamed back to India along with allegations the officers used excessive force.The students were demanding action after at least 70 attacks in Melbourne in the past year including four in recent weeks. One victim is in a coma after being stabbed with a screwdriver.Police say 30 per cent of assaults in Melbourne’s western suburbs are against Indians, a disproportionate figure in a city of almost four million with an Indian student population of less than 50 000. – Nampa-AFP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News