ACC concludes ‘no intent to swindle’

THE Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) yesterday concluded that allegations levelled against three officials of the Ministry of Justice, pertaining to the purchase of software, hold no basis of corruption or fraud.

This was detailed in a statement issued by the commission on Wednesday, in response to an explanatory letter sent by ministry of justice executive director Issaskar Ndjoze.

According to the ACC, Ndjoze provided both substantial explanation and supporting documents to prove that the funds were used to procure the Balance Score Card Performance Management software, that had previously been questioned.

Last week reported that the ACC was investigating a matter in which three justice officials had a combined N$750 000 paid into their personal bank accounts supposedly so that they could pay the Singaporean software company they had bought the programme from.

Danny van Rooyen, a chief training officer; Marian Groenemeyer, director of administration; and Simon Elifas, chief human resources practitioner, allegedly unilaterally decided to purchase the software programme, and according to sources, the decision was made without the approval of the committee and treasury.

However, the ACC said Ndjoze’s response to their query has supporting documents stating that the officials were in fact, granted approval by the executive director.

Furthermore, the statement concluded that the explanation provided by the ministry “was well furnished on circumstances that compelled the ministry to make payment to the supplier through the personal bank accounts of the officials.

“Additional to that, proof of full payment of funds by staff members as well as proof of receipt of payment are submitted to ACC,” it said.

From this evidence, the ACC inferred that there was no intention to, and that no money was swindled from the ministry, however, the commission urged public institutions to discontinue the practice of paying suppliers through personal bank accounts of staff.

“Though the ACC is satisfied that there was no intention to siphon the funds, the practice of paying suppliers through personal bank accounts of public officials is unprocedural, unlawful and must be discontinued by public institutions. The practice creates potential chances for corruption,” it said.

*More details in tomorrow’s edition of The Namibian.


Latest News