Walvis rape and murder suspects in court

Vernon Gavin

The two men who have been charged with the rape and murder of Walvis Bay resident Vernon Gavin (52) on 30 December made their first appearance in the Walvis Bay Magistrate’s Court on 2 January.

Both Sem Moses (20) and Quanito van Vuuren (25) remain in custody.

Erongo police spokesperson inspector Ileni Shapumba says: “It was alleged that the deceased, who was staying alone in his house, was attacked by someone who was socialising with him and was killed in his bedroom.”

He says Gavin’s body was found in his bathroom by neighbours who investigated after several calls to him went unanswered.

“The police investigations have established that the deceased was raped before the suspected act of murder, although no evidence of physical harm was observed on his body,” Shapumba says.

A cellphone was stolen, which was later recovered by the police.

“When crime takes place, we commit ourselves to investigate and arrest the perpetrators as well as to prepare evidence for court in a professional manner so as to restore hope, trust and confidence of the community in the police,” Shapumba says.

Sources claim Gavin met up with one of the suspects before the incident, who told him he could not perform the sexual interaction Gavin wanted, but knew someone who would.

The two of them then allegedly went to an abandoned house where they found a third man.

The three of them went to Gavin’s house together, the source claims.

Three bottles of beer suggested they were drinking, while other “substances” were also suspectedly used.

The police have ruled out suicide.

Gavin was employed at a bank at Walvis Bay, and was well loved among his colleagues.

“My heart is sore and broken this morning, and not only mine, but all of us here at work . . .

“You were one of a kind . . . You don’t deserve to go like this . . . But we pray that justice will be done,” Porche Mouton posted on Gavin’s Facebook page.

Social media posts to oppose bail were also shared wide.

Moses and Van Vuuren will appear in court again in April, as investigations continue.

They were not given the chance to plead, but Moses disputed the rape charge.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News