Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Thousands converge on Belgrade to protest Kosovo

Thousands converge on Belgrade to protest Kosovo

BELGRADE -Thousands of Serbs headed to Belgrade yesterday to attend a rally protesting Kosovo’s independence, raising fears that the gathering could trigger street violence.

Schools were closed and the state railway company made free trains available to transport protesters. Local media reports yesterday said crowds of thousands were already making their way to the capital for the afternoon rally.Organisers say the “Kosovo is Ours” event will demonstrate Serbia’s commitment to keeping the province of 2 million people, most of whom are ethnic Albanian.Kosovo declared independence on Sunday and more than a dozen nations have recognised it so far.They include the United States, Britain, France and Germany.But the move has been rejected by Serbia’s nationalist government along with the ethnic Serbians who populate northern Kosovo.Russia, China and numerous other nations also have condemned the move, saying it sets a precedent that separatist groups around the world will seek to emulate.There were fears that the rally could spark renewed rioting by ultra-nationalists who attacked the US Embassy, McDonald’s restaurants and other Western interests in the capital earlier this week.They also attacked the offices of the pro-Western Liberal Democratic Party in several towns.”We are convinced that the state organs are behind these attacks,” the party said in an open letter to the government published Thursday.Critics say attacks could be a prelude to the silencing of the opposition and pro-Western politicians in the Balkan republic, reminiscent of the era when the country was run by Slobodan Milosevic.His regime also organised giant rallies by busing in supporters and children to demonstrate public support for the wars Serbia waged in Croatia, Bosnia and Kosovo.- Nampa-APLocal media reports yesterday said crowds of thousands were already making their way to the capital for the afternoon rally.Organisers say the “Kosovo is Ours” event will demonstrate Serbia’s commitment to keeping the province of 2 million people, most of whom are ethnic Albanian.Kosovo declared independence on Sunday and more than a dozen nations have recognised it so far.They include the United States, Britain, France and Germany.But the move has been rejected by Serbia’s nationalist government along with the ethnic Serbians who populate northern Kosovo.Russia, China and numerous other nations also have condemned the move, saying it sets a precedent that separatist groups around the world will seek to emulate.There were fears that the rally could spark renewed rioting by ultra-nationalists who attacked the US Embassy, McDonald’s restaurants and other Western interests in the capital earlier this week.They also attacked the offices of the pro-Western Liberal Democratic Party in several towns.”We are convinced that the state organs are behind these attacks,” the party said in an open letter to the government published Thursday.Critics say attacks could be a prelude to the silencing of the opposition and pro-Western politicians in the Balkan republic, reminiscent of the era when the country was run by Slobodan Milosevic.His regime also organised giant rallies by busing in supporters and children to demonstrate public support for the wars Serbia waged in Croatia, Bosnia and Kosovo.- Nampa-AP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News