Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Swine flu hits China as global cases rise

Swine flu hits China as global cases rise

CHENGDU – China yesterday confirmed its first case of swine flu on the mainland, underlining the outbreak’s global spread, as the United States reported hundreds more cases and warned of further deaths.

Worldwide, the death toll passed 50 after Costa Rica reported its first fatality from the virus, officially known as A(H1N1) influenza, and the United States confirmed a third death.
Meanwhile in Mexico, where the virus was first reported and has killed 48 people, primary schools were reopening after a massive shutdown to contain the outbreak. However six of the country’s 32 states were keeping schools closed due to further flu fears.
Fears that infections would gather pace were heightened when China said it had detected its first mainland case in a man who had recently travelled back from the United States.
The 30-year-old was hospitalised with a fever after arriving in the Sichuan provincial capital Chengdu, in southwestern China, from the United States via Tokyo on Saturday afternoon, the health ministry said.
‘This is our country’s first case of A(H1N1),’ its spokesman Mao Qunan said in a statement on its website.
State television said the man, surnamed Bao, was in a stable condition. He flew from Tokyo to Beijing on a Northwest Airlines flight before connecting on a domestic flight to Chengdu, the ministry said.
The virus was first reported in Mexico in April, but has spread to more than 30 nations since and the global number of infected cases is at least 4 380. In response to the outbreak, Beijing has barred direct flights from Mexico and banned imports of Mexican pork.
– Nampa-AFP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News