Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Swapo official dares comrades to submit to a lie detector test

Swapo official dares comrades to submit to a lie detector test

A SWAPO Party politician in the Hardap Region, Theo Diergaardt, through his lawyer, has strongly denied allegations of tape-recording a clandestine meeting, where some regional leaders plotted to give two fellow regional leaders the boot.

The two Swapo Party regional leaders in question are the Regional Councillor for the Hardap East constituency, Edward Wambo and Rehoboth East party district co-ordinator Willie Swartz. In a letter to The Namibian, Diergaardt’s lawyer, Bradley Basson of Olivier’s Legal Practitioners said Diergaardt feels strongly aggrieved by allegations related to the tape-recorded meeting, published in The Namibian last Friday.”Our client is prepared to undergo a polygraph test to prove his innocence related to allegations that he tape-recorded a clandestine meeting where it was planned to oust Wambo and Swartz as Swapo Hardap regional leaders,” Basson said.According to Basson, any of the other party members who were also in attendance at the said meeting could have made the tape-recording.Basson identified those present as Hardap Governor, Katrina Hanse-Himarwa, regional councillor Barakias Namwandi, party regional co-ordinator Nico Mukenya, Gibeon district co-ordinator Hans Josef, Swapo district co-ordinator for Rehoboth West, Dawid Richter and district mobilisation officer for Rehoboth East, Mentol Links.Basson challenged them to also voluntarily submit themselves for a polygraph test in order to unmask the real disloyal comrade.”Our client is prepared to bear all the costs relating to the testing of the latter members, in order to show the Swapo Party and the general public who the disloyal comrades are,” he said.At last week’s Council meeting, which ended in chaos after Diergaardt and Wambo almost came to blows, Wambo alleged that Diergaardt had tape recorded the meeting.The Namibian was reliably informed that Diergaardt threatened Wambo with physical violence and had to be restrained by fellow councillors.Wambo filed a complaint against Diergaardt.Both Diergaardt and Wambo declined to comment at the time.According to Basson, Diergaardt first wanted to consult with his lawyers because he considered the matter an internal party issue, therefore was not at liberty to discuss it with the media.”Our client, at this stage will decline to make any comments about the alleged assault perpetrated upon councillor Wambo as the matter is currently under investigation,” Basson said yesterday.Basson claimed that Diergaardt was the victim of a smear campaign intended to discredit him during the District Election held last week.”It all came just a day before the district elections, in which our client emerged victorious, despite these allegations,” he said.The Namibian has also reliably learnt that the Hardap Swapo regional leadership has lodged an appeal with the Politburo to have Swartz and Wambo suspended once again.This follows a Politburo order to re-instate Wambo and Swartz following their recent expulsion from the Hardap Swapo Party top ranks.It is believed that a news article about the clandestine meeting, published by The Namibian, sparked the duo’s expulsion.In a letter addressed to the Hardap Swapo Regional leadership, the Politburo poured cold water on their plans to boot the two.According to the source, the Politburo dismissed the regional leadership appeal.It is most likely that the clandestine meeting could be discussed at the Swapo Party Central Committee meeting scheduled to take place in Windhoek from today, The Namibian was informed.In a letter to The Namibian, Diergaardt’s lawyer, Bradley Basson of Olivier’s Legal Practitioners said Diergaardt feels strongly aggrieved by allegations related to the tape-recorded meeting, published in The Namibian last Friday.”Our client is prepared to undergo a polygraph test to prove his innocence related to allegations that he tape-recorded a clandestine meeting where it was planned to oust Wambo and Swartz as Swapo Hardap regional leaders,” Basson said.According to Basson, any of the other party members who were also in attendance at the said meeting could have made the tape-recording.Basson identified those present as Hardap Governor, Katrina Hanse-Himarwa, regional councillor Barakias Namwandi, party regional co-ordinator Nico Mukenya, Gibeon district co-ordinator Hans Josef, Swapo district co-ordinator for Rehoboth West, Dawid Richter and district mobilisation officer for Rehoboth East, Mentol Links.Basson challenged them to also voluntarily submit themselves for a polygraph test in order to unmask the real disloyal comrade.”Our client is prepared to bear all the costs relating to the testing of the latter members, in order to show the Swapo Party and the general public who the disloyal comrades are,” he said.At last week’s Council meeting, which ended in chaos after Diergaardt and Wambo almost came to blows, Wambo alleged that Diergaardt had tape recorded the meeting.The Namibian was reliably informed that Diergaardt threatened Wambo with physical violence and had to be restrained by fellow councillors.Wambo filed a complaint against Diergaardt.Both Diergaardt and Wambo declined to comment at the time.According to Basson, Diergaardt first wanted to consult with his lawyers because he considered the matter an internal party issue, therefore was not at liberty to discuss it with the media.”Our client, at this stage will decline to make any comments about the alleged assault perpetrated upon councillor Wambo as the matter is currently under investigation,” Basson said yesterday.Basson claimed that Diergaardt was the victim of a smear campaign intended to discredit him during the District Election held last week.”It all came just a day before the district elections, in which our client emerged victorious, despite these allegations,” he said.The Namibian has also reliably learnt that the Hardap Swapo regional leadership has lodged an appeal with the Politburo to have Swartz and Wambo suspended once again.This follows a Politburo order to re-instate Wambo and Swartz following their recent expulsion from the Hardap Swapo Party top ranks.It is believed that a news article about the clandestine meeting, published by The Namibian, sparked the duo’s expulsion.In a letter addressed to the Hardap Swapo Regional leadership, the Politburo poured cold water on their plans to boot the two.According to the source, the Politburo dismissed the regional leadership appeal.It is most likely that the clandestine meeting could be discussed at the Swapo Party Central Committee meeting scheduled to take place in Windhoek from today, The Namibian was informed.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News