Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Swapo makes an exception for four councillors

Swapo makes an exception for four councillors

THE Swapo Party Politburo has done a U-turn on a party decision that no regional councillor will be eligible for nomination for the party’s list of candidates for the National Assembly elections at the Electoral College starting today.

Flying in the face of Tuesday’s announcement by Secretary of Information and Mobilisation, Jerry Ekandjo, that no regional councillor will be accommodated on the parliamentary list because they still have a year in office, The Namibian was reliably informed that the Politburo has made an exception for four regional councillors.The four who are now eligible are Margreth Mensah-Williams, Clemens Kashuupulwa, Usko Nghaamwa and Katrina Hanse-Himarwa. The last three are the Governors of the Oshana, Ohangwena and Hardap regions respectively, while Mensah-Williams is the Deputy Chairperson of the National Council.All four are known staunch supporters of former President Sam Nujoma.When contacted last night, Ekandjo maintained it was not an exception.According to him, Kashuupulwa, Nghaamwa and Mensah-William are candidates by virtue of their membership of the Swapo Central Committee. In the case of Hanse-Himarwa, it is an issue with her constituency, he said. ‘It is up to the Hardap Region if they have sent her to the electoral college as a delegate or a candidate,’ he said.Ekandjo said on Tuesday: ‘They [regional councillors] can’t just jump. They have to finish serving their terms.’ The move paves the way for the four, who are no strangers to controversy, to be nominated and eventually elected onto the list of 59 to be chosen at today’s Electoral College.They feature on a list of 37 names, topped by Jerry Ekandjo, which is said to be sponsored by the Nujoma faction in the party.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News