Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Selectors defend picking of players in Newspaper Cup

Selectors defend picking of players in Newspaper Cup

REGIONAL coordinators in the Hardap and Erongo regions have defended the ‘bias’ selection process of their teams which are expected to play in The Namibian Newspaper Cup in April this year.

The two regions are among the 13 that are expected to send players under the age of 20, to play in the tournament which kicks-off at the Oshakati Independence Stadium on April 9. Hardap regional coordinator Albertus Brink told The Namibian Sport yesterday that he players in that region ‘are selected on merit and all towns are always covered in doing that.’ The Namibian Sportreceived complaints that each year players selected in Hardap region are only picked from Mariental’s teams, but other towns are not covered.Brinkman dismissed the allegations, explaining that the they extend invitation letters to all towns in the region to come to Mariental for trials.”We have been doing this for the previous tournaments and we found that some towns don’t event send any players or they simply do not attend meetings ahead of the selection of the team,” he said.He said this time, players from towns such as Aranos, Gochas, Rehoboth, Gibeon and Maltahohe have been invited to the trials that are scheduled to start during March 20 to 21 at Mariental.Meanwhile, Erongo regional coordinator, Victor Mutumbulwa also brushed aside complaints of unfair selection in the region.Complaints are that only players from Walvis Bay and Swakopmund teams make it to the final squad, which then represents the region at the tournament.He said they cannot select players who are not playing under formal structures.”We cannot just pick everyone from across the region.Players have to be part of clubs that are playing under the auspices of the Namibia Football Association’s (NFA) structures,” he said.He said so far, players at towns such as Omaruru, Omatjete and Karibib have been identified, whose ages are under 20, while they also play in the clubs that are registered.He said Usakos and Arandis do not have teams and cannot be considered for selection.The Erongo region intends to have trials for its players on March 14 at the Mondesa Football Field in Swakopmund, starting at 09h00.The NFA which is tasked with the organisation of the tournament, has reduced the ages of the participating players from under 23 to under 20 this year.This they argue will be beneficial for players under the age of 21 to be able to compete during the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China.The Namibian Newspaper Cup is currently in its fourth year and over N$300 000 will be spent for hosting the tournament.Hardap regional coordinator Albertus Brink told The Namibian Sport yesterday that he players in that region ‘are selected on merit and all towns are always covered in doing that.’ The Namibian Sportreceived complaints that each year players selected in Hardap region are only picked from Mariental’s teams, but other towns are not covered.Brinkman dismissed the allegations, explaining that the they extend invitation letters to all towns in the region to come to Mariental for trials.”We have been doing this for the previous tournaments and we found that some towns don’t event send any players or they simply do not attend meetings ahead of the selection of the team,” he said.He said this time, players from towns such as Aranos, Gochas, Rehoboth, Gibeon and Maltahohe have been invited to the trials that are scheduled to start during March 20 to 21 at Mariental.Meanwhile, Erongo regional coordinator, Victor Mutumbulwa also brushed aside complaints of unfair selection in the region.Complaints are that only players from Walvis Bay and Swakopmund teams make it to the final squad, which then represents the region at the tournament.He said they cannot select players who are not playing under formal structures.”We cannot just pick everyone from across the region.Players have to be part of clubs that are playing under the auspices of the Namibia Football Association’s (NFA) structures,” he said.He said so far, players at towns such as Omaruru, Omatjete and Karibib have been identified, whose ages are under 20, while they also play in the clubs that are registered.He said Usakos and Arandis do not have teams and cannot be considered for selection.The Erongo region intends to have trials for its players on March 14 at the Mondesa Football Field in Swakopmund, starting at 09h00.The NFA which is tasked with the organisation of the tournament, has reduced the ages of the participating players from under 23 to under 20 this year.This they argue will be beneficial for players under the age of 21 to be able to compete during the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, China.The Namibian Newspaper Cup is currently in its fourth year and over N$300 000 will be spent for hosting the tournament.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News