Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Islamists mark anniversary of Pakistan’s Red Mosque crackdown

Islamists mark anniversary of Pakistan’s Red Mosque crackdown

ISLAMABAD – Thousands of Islamists demanded yesterday that Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf be publicly hanged as they observed the one-year anniversary of a deadly military crackdown on the radical Red Mosque.

More than 3 000 people, including about two dozen veiled women, gathered outside the Islamabad mosque, known as ‘Lal Masjid’, for a conference marking the eight-day siege. Critics have accused Musharraf of ordering the mosque crackdown at America’s bidding.When a conference leader asked who supported Musharraf’s execution in a public square, hands went up everywhere, and many chanted, “Killer, killer, Musharraf is a killer.”Mosque supporters also declared they would erect tents on the land where a girls’ seminary once stood next to the mosque and restart classes there today.The siege of the mosque was spurred after tension over an increasingly violent anti-vice campaign led by the mosque’s administrators – including the kidnapping of alleged prostitutes – boiled over into gunbattles with security forces trying to enforce government authority.The government said 102 people, including 11 security personnel, were killed in the stand-off that began July 3 last year.The siege seriously undermined the government’s reputation among ordinary Pakistanis, many of whom believe far more people died, including women and children.Attendees yesterday included Islamist students who wore red prayer caps in apparent remembrance of Abdul Rashid Ghazi, the deputy cleric of the mosque killed in the operation who wore that colour cap.Sixteen-year-old Mohammed Shahab was among the students.He said he travelled from the north-western city of Mardan to attend the conference.”We have come here for implementation of Islamic laws …(Islamic laws) will come and Musharraf will go,” he said, adding that he was against women moving freely in Islamabad because he believed it was against Islam.After the operation, authorities demolished the sprawling Jamia Hafsa girls’ seminary next to the mosque.Qari Saidur Rehman, a senior cleric, read out a declaration from the conference that said administrators would resume girls’ classes in tents on Monday.The government was urged to reopen an affiliated boys school closed after the operation.”If the government does not reopen the madrassa, we will open it ourselves,” Rehman said.The declaration also called for the release of Maulana Abdul Aziz, the mosque’s chief cleric, who was arrested while trying to flee the siege in a burqa.Nampa-APCritics have accused Musharraf of ordering the mosque crackdown at America’s bidding.When a conference leader asked who supported Musharraf’s execution in a public square, hands went up everywhere, and many chanted, “Killer, killer, Musharraf is a killer.”Mosque supporters also declared they would erect tents on the land where a girls’ seminary once stood next to the mosque and restart classes there today.The siege of the mosque was spurred after tension over an increasingly violent anti-vice campaign led by the mosque’s administrators – including the kidnapping of alleged prostitutes – boiled over into gunbattles with security forces trying to enforce government authority.The government said 102 people, including 11 security personnel, were killed in the stand-off that began July 3 last year.The siege seriously undermined the government’s reputation among ordinary Pakistanis, many of whom believe far more people died, including women and children.Attendees yesterday included Islamist students who wore red prayer caps in apparent remembrance of Abdul Rashid Ghazi, the deputy cleric of the mosque killed in the operation who wore that colour cap.Sixteen-year-old Mohammed Shahab was among the students.He said he travelled from the north-western city of Mardan to attend the conference.”We have come here for implementation of Islamic laws …(Islamic laws) will come and Musharraf will go,” he said, adding that he was against women moving freely in Islamabad because he believed it was against Islam.After the operation, authorities demolished the sprawling Jamia Hafsa girls’ seminary next to the mosque.Qari Saidur Rehman, a senior cleric, read out a declaration from the conference that said administrators would resume girls’ classes in tents on Monday.The government was urged to reopen an affiliated boys school closed after the operation.”If the government does not reopen the madrassa, we will open it ourselves,” Rehman said.The declaration also called for the release of Maulana Abdul Aziz, the mosque’s chief cleric, who was arrested while trying to flee the siege in a burqa.Nampa-AP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News