Ex-top cop Shikongo awaits NNN decision

Joseph Shikongo

Former police chief testified last month

The Security Commission has made a recommendation to president Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah concerning inspector general Joseph Shikongo’s future, but the details remain unclear.

The commission, which advises the president on security and defence matters, invited Shikongo last month to present his side of the incident at State House, where a naked man gained access to the presidential residence.

Shikongo allegedly maintained his innocence.

After the hearing, the commission made recommendations to the president on the way forward for Shikongo, who had 16 months remaining on his contract when he was removed.

Shikongo was suspended in May following the breach at State House, for which he was later blamed after allegedly failing to protect the president.

Security Commission chairperson Patrick Nandago declined to comment on the details of the meeting.

“Yes I am aware of the meeting and we have sent a recommendation to the president to make a decision.

I cannot comment further because it is a security matter and only the president can pronounce herself, not the media,” he said.

Shikongo also declined to comment.

“I am still at home, those are baseless allegations and rumours.

I cannot comment to the media at the moment but when the time is right I will comment, which will be soon,” he said in an interview with The Namibian last month.

It’s not clear what the recommendations of the commission are.

Speculation was rife four weeks ago that the commission did not find fault with Shikongo’s conduct and that the recommendation would favour him.

It’s not clear if Shikongo wants to return to the office.

However, his allies say during his testimony at the commission, he asked for a public apology for his humiliating exit after years of serving in the police force.

This demand, sources say, is allegedly not well received at State House.

Sources claim that he might not return to his position but may instead opt to receive his remaining salary and full benefits for the 16 months left on his contract at the time of his suspension.

The police chief was granted a three-year contract extension by then-president Nangolo Mbumba in 2024. His term was expected to end in September 2027.

PALACE POLITICS

Shikongo’s ousting has, in a way, opened a pandora’s box for backstabbing in the police force, especially at State House.

The Namibian understands that some police officers were allegedly removed from State House after they were suspected of “talking badly about the president”.

Public policy and political analyst Ndumba Kamwanyah told The Namibian yesterday that Shikongo’s case was dealt with in secrecy, adding that there was no transparency with the public.

“The secrecy and transparent requirement was not made public regarding Shikongo’s case, it was not explained why he was suspended and up to now we don’t know what has led to his suspension.

The normal processes should have been followed and should have been announced to the public,” he said.

Kamwanyah said the silence on the matter creates suspicion on whether all processes were followed.

“Even if he is to be brought back we still need to know what steps were taken.

Was there an investigation? It cannot just be said there was nothing wrong, it has to be explained for transparency because it creates suspicion to the public, let this process be explained in public.

“He is human and needs to be cleared in a transparent way so it does not look like he is brought back because he is a comrade.

The lack of transparency for me is the big issue and up to now, we are still questioning what really happened,” he said.

Speaking to The Namibian on Thursday, political analyst Rui Tyitende said the police according to the Constitution cannot be without a substantive.

“As per the Constitution (article 32), the president has the power to appoint the inspector general of the police on the recommendation of the Security Commission.

As a crucial national security institution, the police cannot be without a substantive head. The president needs to either dismiss him, or reinstate him as the law provides.

“This uncertainty has an impact on the general morale of the police and it creates a leadership vacuum and unnecessary succession battles among the higher ranks in the police,” he said.

STATE HOUSE BREACH

The Namibian reported in May that a letter from Nandi-Ndaitwah to Shikongo cited the naked man at State House incident as the reason for his removal.

Nandi-Ndaitwah announced she had replaced Shikongo with deputy inspector general for administration, major general Anne-Marie Nainda. The announcement came days after the naked man incident.

Publicly, the president did not give reasons for the removal in her public statement, fuelling speculation on whether there has been tension between her and Shikongo.

A senior government official familiar with the letter confirmed to The Namibian yesterday that the security breach was specifically named as the grounds for removal.

The letter was dispatched late on Tuesday after meetings of the country’s top security and political decision-makers.

Question marks remain around the role of the top security officials, including allegations that the wall around State House is already guarded by the defence forces.


Latest News