Crime-ridden start to 2024

The first weekend of 2024 saw several crimes committed across the country, according to a police report released on Sunday.


The police caught two different alleged whiskey smugglers at the Tsumeb fourway police roadblock on Friday.

In the first case, a Namibian bus driver (31) was arrested after he was allegedly caught with illegal whiskey worth N$52 800.

The bus was intercepted and searched at the roadblock at around 00h30.

The search found 44 x 240 boxes of 50ml Best whisky hidden in compartments all over the bus.

In a similar whiskey bust, the police arrested a Namibian bus driver (52) after he was allegedly found carrying illicit goods worth N$128 700.
The search uncovered 18 x 5 000 boxes of Yes Cigarettes and 27 x 240 boxes of 50ml Best whisky.

Both suspects were expected to appear in the Tsumeb Magistrate’s Court yesterday.


A Namibian woman (45) was arrested after she was allegedly found in possession of illegal fuel and failed to provide proof of purchase at Okatope village on Saturday.

The suspect was found in possession of 45 x 25-litre containers of diesel fuel, one 20-litre container of diesel, five 5-litre containers of diesel, and one empty 20-litre container.

They had a combined value of N$25 307.

The suspect were expected to appear in the Ondangwa Magistrate’s Court yesterday.


Two Namibian women were arrested after they allegedly stole an iPhone 14 Pro Max and defrauded a man (34) at Shandumbala in Windhoek on Friday.

The two suspects allegedly asked to use the victim’s phone and then refused to return it.

They continued to withdraw N$2 000 in cash from the victim’s account.

The total amount the victim was defrauded with is N$32 000, the police say.

Police investigations are ongoing.


A man was allegedly stabbed with an okapi knife in the chest outside a cuca shop at Otamanzi in the Omusati region on Saturday.

Nambala Titus (31) succumbed to his wounds.

His next of kin have been informed of the incident.

The suspect has been arrested.

According to the police, the murder weapon was found in his possession.

Police investigations are ongoing.


South African tourist George Pieterse (61) unexpectedly died in the passenger seat of a vehicle at Henties Bay on Saturday.

Pieterse allegedly died while having a conversation with a friend on their way to the Mile 108 campsite along the Skeleton Coast.

The police say the driver immediately pulled over after noticing Pieterse was looking unwell.

A state nurse certified him dead following police intervention, and his body was transported to Walvis Bay for a post-mortem examination.
Pieterse’s next of kin have been informed.


A sedan was allegedly stolen outside a house at Ehenye at Oshakati North on Friday.

According to the police, two sets of footprints were found at the scene, and the thieves pushed the car before driving off with it.
The vehicle is worth an estimated N$40 000.

Police investigations continue and no arrests have been made yet.


Four men were arrested on Friday after they allegedly illegally hunted two zebra, one oryx and one kudu with snare wires.

The suspects were arrested at the Otjipaue farm near Kalkfeld.

A sting operation was set up following a sighting of the suspects at farm Ondombo West on 31 December.

The police say they removed 60 snare wires from the field following the sting.

The valuation of goods involve dried oryx meat valued at N$8 000.

The animals had a combined value of N$116 000.

Police investigations continue


A female impala at the Tsumkwe Livestock Development Centre’s government farm was hunted and killed on Thursday.

According to the police, an investigation was launched on Friday, following gunshots heard the previous day.

The investigation uncovered the carcass of the freshly killed impala valued at N$2 250 approximately 2km from the farm.

Further investigations found more pieces of the carcass hidden in a tree not far from the main discovery.

Police investigations continue and no suspect has been arrested yet.


A suspected burglar was allegedly shot by the City Police at Khomasdal after opening fire on the police on Sunday.

City Police members attended to a reported break-in, where two men were allegedly found breaking the gate of a house. They allegedly started shooting at the officers, following a warning.

The police say the City Police shot back at the suspects, hitting one.

A paramedic later declared the injured suspect dead at the scene.

The other suspect is still at large.

Police investigations are ongoing.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!