Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Chaos over missing cement

Chaos over missing cement

A MEETING between the Keetmanshoop Town Council and its management staff on Monday ended in chaos after a war of words erupted between a councillor and the Council’s chief executive officer.

The meeting was supposed to brief councillors on the theft charge the municipality laid against an employee, Neville Hupita. The charge relates to building material that allegedly went missing at the time that Hupita was administering the town’s Build Together programme.The missing material included corrugated iron, cement and doors.Its value is not known.The meeting broke up after Councillor Moses Titus traded accusations with the chief executive officer, Jeremia Shangadi.Titus accused Shangadi of being a “thief”, demanding that he be suspended.According to Titus two other senior staff members are also implicated in the theft.Titus admitted to The Namibian that a row erupted between him and Shangadi at the meeting yesterday.According to Titus, he blamed Shangadi for failing to inform Council before taking crucial decisions on several occasion.”We’ve read the news about the theft in the newspaper, therefore the meeting itself was senseless because he was about to repeat the same information we had read in the newspaper,” Titus said.He confirmed that he called for the suspension of Shangadi and two other senior officials, Epsom Jossop and a certain Apollus, at the meeting.”As chairman of the Build Together programme, Shangadi deserves to be suspended like the other staff members, Hermanus Boois and Mr Witbooi to prevent them from interfering with the Police investigation,” he said.”The Build Together programme scam is coming a long way since 2004, right under Shangadi’s nose.”In turn, Shangadi accused Titus of unprofessional behaviour.”This was not the first time Titus shouted at me in front of my subordinates,” he said.”Titus is corrupt, and doesn’t want to see the truth coming out, therefore defends corrupt practices within the municipality,” Shangadi claimed.”I don’t know why the Council is not alerting the Police if they suspect me of any corrupt practices,” he said.The Namibian has established that municipal staff borrowed some building material belonging to the Build Together programme.However, after the theft charge was laid against Hupita, some of the material was returned yesterday.Yesterday, council employee John Wohlman, who is now administering the programme, confirmed that Jossop returned five bags of cement, while a builder, Mr Kuhlewind, who is also implicated, returned 35 bags of cement.Hupita yesterday made his first court appearance in the Keetmanshoop Magistrate’s Court and was granted bail of N$1 500.The case was postponed until March 19.The charge relates to building material that allegedly went missing at the time that Hupita was administering the town’s Build Together programme.The missing material included corrugated iron, cement and doors.Its value is not known.The meeting broke up after Councillor Moses Titus traded accusations with the chief executive officer, Jeremia Shangadi.Titus accused Shangadi of being a “thief”, demanding that he be suspended.According to Titus two other senior staff members are also implicated in the theft.Titus admitted to The Namibian that a row erupted between him and Shangadi at the meeting yesterday.According to Titus, he blamed Shangadi for failing to inform Council before taking crucial decisions on several occasion.”We’ve read the news about the theft in the newspaper, therefore the meeting itself was senseless because he was about to repeat the same information we had read in the newspaper,” Titus said.He confirmed that he called for the suspension of Shangadi and two other senior officials, Epsom Jossop and a certain Apollus, at the meeting.”As chairman of the Build Together programme, Shangadi deserves to be suspended like the other staff members, Hermanus Boois and Mr Witbooi to prevent them from interfering with the Police investigation,” he said.”The Build Together programme scam is coming a long way since 2004, right under Shangadi’s nose.”In turn, Shangadi accused Titus of unprofessional behaviour.”This was not the first time Titus shouted at me in front of my subordinates,” he said.”Titus is corrupt, and doesn’t want to see the truth coming out, therefore defends corrupt practices within the municipality,” Shangadi claimed.”I don’t know why the Council is not alerting the Police if they suspect me of any corrupt practices,” he said.The Namibian has established that municipal staff borrowed some building material belonging to the Build Together programme.However, after the theft charge was laid against Hupita, some of the material was returned yesterday.Yesterday, council employee John Wohlman, who is now administering the programme, confirmed that Jossop returned five bags of cement, while a builder, Mr Kuhlewind, who is also implicated, returned 35 bags of cement.Hupita yesterday made his first court appearance in the Keetmanshoop Magistrate’s Court and was granted bail of N$1 500.The case was postponed until March 19.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News