Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Case closed in Mogane ‘kidnapping’

Case closed in Mogane ‘kidnapping’

AN alleged kidnapping and extortion case reported by Namibia Sports Commission chief administrator Rusten Mogane last week has been scrapped from the Police record books.

The only suspect arrested in the case was released from Police custody at the start of the long weekend, after Mogane failed to lay any formal charges.
The unidentified man was arrested outside the Katutura branch of Bank Windhoek on Tuesday, after Mogane accused him and an alleged accomplice of blackmailing him into paying a ransom for a girl reported at the time to be Mogane’s daughter.
The Police were told that Mogane had been driving his daughter to school at Döbra outside Windhoek when the suspects jumped them at a stop sign.
They allegedly removed the girl from the car, and had Mogane drive back to Windhoek with the man who was eventually arrested to collect N$5 000 in ransom.
While in the bank to draw money, Mogane contacted the Police.
Mogane declined commenting on the case when approached by The Namibian, and by Thursday afternoon had failed to lay any formal charges against his alleged perpetrators.
The suspect was released because the Police cannot hold a suspect for longer than 48 hours without charging him in a court of law, said the station commander at the Windhoek Police Station, Chief Inspector Robert Sanjahi.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News