Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

‘Al Qaeda ordered attacks on Europe on May 29’

‘Al Qaeda ordered attacks on Europe on May 29’

MADRID – The Islamist extremist group al Qaeda ordered attacks on Europe in a May 29 Internet message that the Spanish secret service forwarded to their British counterparts at the weekend, a Spanish newspaper reported yesterday.

The Spanish national intelligence centre (CNI) sent a copy of the Arabic-language message – signed by “Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades – European division” – on Saturday to the British intelligence service MI5, and it was also published Saturday by the daily El Mundo. The message, entitled “Letter to Mujahedeen in Europe”, states in part: “We now call on the mujahedeen around the world to launch the expected attack”.Spanish intelligence officials believe this was a reference to the attacks in London last Thursday, El Mundo wrote.The group was the second al Qaeda affiliate to claim responsibility for the London bombings, which killed at least 49 people and wounded some 700.The same group claimed responsibility for the March 11, 2004, Madrid train bombings in which 191 people died, and twin bombings in Istanbul in November 2003 that killed 63 people.The Spanish secret service has been examining the statements of the European division of Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades, named after an al Qaeda leader who was killed in Afghanistan, since the Madrid bombings, the newspaper said.- Nampa-AFPThe message, entitled “Letter to Mujahedeen in Europe”, states in part: “We now call on the mujahedeen around the world to launch the expected attack”.Spanish intelligence officials believe this was a reference to the attacks in London last Thursday, El Mundo wrote.The group was the second al Qaeda affiliate to claim responsibility for the London bombings, which killed at least 49 people and wounded some 700.The same group claimed responsibility for the March 11, 2004, Madrid train bombings in which 191 people died, and twin bombings in Istanbul in November 2003 that killed 63 people.The Spanish secret service has been examining the statements of the European division of Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades, named after an al Qaeda leader who was killed in Afghanistan, since the Madrid bombings, the newspaper said.- Nampa-AFP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News