Wanderers sound early season warning 

Wanderers winger Warren Ludwig in action against United. Photo: Helge Schütz

Wanderers’ rugby club sounded an early season warning when they beat Unam 12-5 to win the traditional season-opening competition, the Castle Lite 10-a-side tournament hosted at Trustco United Park on Saturday. 

They remained unbeaten throughout the group stage of the tournament to top the log and book a direct place in the final, where they met Unam, who beat United 7-5 in a semifinal playoff match.

In the final, Wanderers took an early lead when Jacques Theron broke away from a scrum and sent a grubber kick through that winger Nandi Karuuombe followed up to go over in the corner. 

Wanderers’ forwards continued to pressurise Unam’s defence and they were awarded a penalty try to go 12-0 ahead at the halftime break.

Unam came storming back in the second half and Camlo Martin nearly opened their account when he cut through Wanderers’ backline, only to be tackled metres from the tryline.

Winger Shareave Titus also nearly went over after a swift incursion from the wing, but Obert Nortje brought off a fine try-saving tackle close to the line.

Unam’s pressure finally told when Titus rounded off a great hand-to-hand move to dive over in the corner, but it was too little too late as Wanderers held on for a 12-5 victory to claim the title. 

Earlier, during the group stage, Wanderers also beat Unam 12-5 in another encounter that could have gone either way, but Wanderers’ excellent defence saw them through to victory. 

Wanderers also romped to an impressive 19-0 victory against United, when winger Warren Ludwig scored a great solo try. Ludwig and centre Danie vander Merwe later had to miss the final after picking up injuries, but their absence was hardly felt as Wanderers cruised to the title.

In other Premier League first round matches, Wanderers beat Rehoboth 17-0, Unam beat United 24-0, Unam beat Rehoboth 19-14, and United beat Reho Falcon 24-5.

Unam, however, had a bit of a consolation as they won the Men’s Reserve League final after beating Wanderers II 5-0. 

Unam also dominated the women’s competition as they romped to the title after an unbeaten streak throughout the tournament. 

After running up some big victories during the group stage of the competition they came up against a fired-up Trustco United in the final. 

The home side took the lead when winger Richardine Gaya sped through for an early try, but Unam drew level just before the halftime break when Mandy Hansen crashed over after concerted pressure. Unam went ahead for the first time when Faith Tjambari barged over from a maul to go 12-5 ahead, and although United pushed hard in the final stages, they could not break through as Unam held on for the win. 

That capped a great tournament for Unam Bokkies who ran up some big scores during the group stage of the tournament. They beat Rehoboth 36-0, United 19-0 and Grootfontein 42-0, after a brilliant performance by scrumhalf Yvonne Kooper who scored all six their tries for a personal tally of 30 points.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News