Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Virus baffles officials

Virus baffles officials

FIVE people have died and at least 17 others have been hospitalised as Namibia and the Geneva-based World Health Organisation (WHO) try to identify the mystery virus affecting people.

One of the 17 people, a pregnant mother, is on a ventilator in Windhoek Central Hospital’s acute care unit, according to Dr Helen Kandi-Shiimi, Senior Medical Superintendent of that hospital. The others were in a stable condition in Ward 5A yesterday.On Friday, Health Deputy Minister Petrina Haingura called for calm and said the Government was in contact with WHO head office in Geneva as the wait for the results of stool, urine and blood specimens send to South Africa continued.FIRST CASE NOTED IN MAYVictims typically suffer from lower-limb weaknesses, acute paralysis, breathing difficulties, chest pain, cold and flu, neck stiffness, headache and dizziness.”All patients are isolated and movement of visitors will be limited to avoid further potential spread of the illness to others,” said Haingura.The first case was reported on May 7 at the southern town of Aranos.The person was still alive yesterday but remains on ventilator support.The last patient admitted was on Thursday night, Kandi-Shiimi told The Namibian yesterday.It was confirmed later yesterday that more people had been admitted to the Windhoek Central Hospital.However, Maggy Nghatanga, Director of Primary Health Care, said they were unable to confirm the number of new cases.She noted that they were working with municipalities where cases had been reported to conduct tests on water.”Every possible action, in terms of investigation, is being taken,” she added.”We need to call in other countries for help when we have identified something but we are in touch with WHO and Geneva has been informed,” Nghatanga said.Haingura said patients were aged between 14 and 55 years.They expect the results from South Africa by Wednesday.The health officials said they were looking for anything to lay their hands on as they search for answers to the mystery.Dr Flavia Mugala said it was critical to keep the patients alive while investigations on the disease continued.Health Deputy Minister Haingura said special teams had been dispatched to affected communities to trace the origins of the disease.She called on the nation to stay calm and to report sudden weaknesses immediately.Deputy Permanent Secretary Simwansa Simenda ruled out the possibility that any of the patients had contracted the virus while travelling.He said most had not travelled recently.Apart from Aranos, cases have been reported in suburbs north of Katutura and at Otjiwarongo.Initially, there were fears that they had contracted Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) – a disorder of the peripheral nervous system.However, the Ministry of Health conducted tests which indicated that it was something else.Polio was also ruled out.Haingura said the Ministry of Health was mobilising the necessary financial, human, technical and material resources from inside and outside Namibia to address the situation.The others were in a stable condition in Ward 5A yesterday.On Friday, Health Deputy Minister Petrina Haingura called for calm and said the Government was in contact with WHO head office in Geneva as the wait for the results of stool, urine and blood specimens send to South Africa continued.FIRST CASE NOTED IN MAY Victims typically suffer from lower-limb weaknesses, acute paralysis, breathing difficulties, chest pain, cold and flu, neck stiffness, headache and dizziness.”All patients are isolated and movement of visitors will be limited to avoid further potential spread of the illness to others,” said Haingura.The first case was reported on May 7 at the southern town of Aranos.The person was still alive yesterday but remains on ventilator support.The last patient admitted was on Thursday night, Kandi-Shiimi told The Namibian yesterday.It was confirmed later yesterday that more people had been admitted to the Windhoek Central Hospital.However, Maggy Nghatanga, Director of Primary Health Care, said they were unable to confirm the number of new cases.She noted that they were working with municipalities where cases had been reported to conduct tests on water.”Every possible action, in terms of investigation, is being taken,” she added. “We need to call in other countries for help when we have identified something but we are in touch with WHO and Geneva has been informed,” Nghatanga said.Haingura said patients were aged between 14 and 55 years.They expect the results from South Africa by Wednesday.The health officials said they were looking for anything to lay their hands on as they search for answers to the mystery.Dr Flavia Mugala said it was critical to keep the patients alive while investigations on the disease continued.Health Deputy Minister Haingura said special teams had been dispatched to affected communities to trace the origins of the disease.She called on the nation to stay calm and to report sudden weaknesses immediately.Deputy Permanent Secretary Simwansa Simenda ruled out the possibility that any of the patients had contracted the virus while travelling.He said most had not travelled recently.Apart from Aranos, cases have been reported in suburbs north of Katutura and at Otjiwarongo.Initially, there were fears that they had contracted Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) – a disorder of the peripheral nervous system.However, the Ministry of Health conducted tests which indicated that it was something else.Polio was also ruled out.Haingura said the Ministry of Health was mobilising the necessary financial, human, technical and material resources from inside and outside Namibia to address the situation.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News