Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Vet kids verification off to shaky start

Vet kids verification off to shaky start

AS the verification of registered ‘struggle children’ in the Oshikoto Region starts on a shaky note, the Ministry of Youth is planning the relocation to Berg Aukas of a number of those who have been demonstrating at Swapo offices countrywide.

Registration at the Oshikoto Regional Council at Omuthiya got off to a tense start, with radio reports saying that the situation nearly turned violent.The Police denied this.The Oshana Regional Commander, Commissioner Ndahangwapo Kashihakumwa, told The Namibian yesterday that the situation wasn’t nearly as dramatic as made out by radio reports.He said at the start of the process on Monday afternoon, squabbles broke out between factions of the people born in exile.One group of ‘struggle children’ asked to be attended to first because they lived far from Omuthiya and had no accommodation at the town. Those who lived nearby were not impressed with the request, but the situation has since calmed down, Kashihakumwa said.This wasn’t the first difference of opinion among the ‘struggle children’ – recently they were divided about whether to be relocated to Berg Aukas or to stay put at the Swapo offices.The Government in late September announced that it had allocated N$2 million for moving the ‘struggle children’ to a State-owned farm at Berg Aukas while Government works on their demands for training and jobs. Contacted for comment yesterday, the spokesperson of the group camping at Swapo’s headquarters in Windhoek, Salomo Shinedima, refused to comment on reported divisions between the group, only reiterating that the group had agreed to be moved, and that he had encouraged his fellow youth to remain calm.A visit to the headquarters on Monday, however, revealed that there were still those who were intent on making the Swapo headquarters their home, and who did not want to move to Berg Aukas.The Ministry has made it clear that those who refuse to be relocated would have to face Swapo on their own.The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Youth, Peingeondjabi Shipoh, yesterday told The Namibian that only Swapo could pronounce itself on the future of those who stay on its property.He again appealed to the youth to return to their families for registration and verification.He said their relocation to Berg Aukas was not Government’s first choice. ‘It is the last option! Ideally, we would like to see them integrated with their families,’ he said.The Namibia Exile Kids Association (NEKA) has also said that it will have nothing to do with those who refuse to move from the Swapo offices.NEKA spokesperson Benitha Nakaambo said the organisation would ‘disassociate itself from those who remain behind’.She said Swapo or Government would then have to deal with them, and the party could end up going to court to get an eviction order, as TransNamib did last year when the protesters refused to vacate its property rented by the Ministry of Veterans’ Affairs.Nakaambo also urged the youth to return to their homes and families, saying that ‘only those truly without families’ would be relocated.Just over 10 100 ‘struggle children’ have registered so far. The verification process is expected to continue until the end of January.nangula@namibian.com.na

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News