Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Taliban claim responsibility for Lahore attack

Taliban claim responsibility for Lahore attack

LAHORE – The Taliban claimed responsibility yesterday for a deadly bomb and gun attack on police and intelligence agency offices in eastern Pakistan, while two new blasts ripped through a market in the northern city of Peshawar.

At least four people were killed and dozens wounded in the explosions in Peshawar’s Qissa Khawani market, senior police officer Zarman Shah Khan told The Associated Press. The bombs were planted on two motorcycles and detonated by timers, bomb disposal squad chief Shafqat Malik told reporters. Television networks showed video of people carrying a bloody body from a shop, mangled and smoking cars and walls and windows apparently blasted away. Commando units which rushed to the scene fought a gunbattle with several militants, fatally shooting two of them, Khan said.
‘It was a sudden blast and then there was fire all around, a cloud of smoke filled the sky,’ said Khair Uddin, a shopkeeper whose hands and chest were bloodied by shrapnel from the blast. A doctor at a nearby hospital, Sahib Gul, said 75 people wounded in the blast had been brought in, most of them with critical injuries.
Peshawar is the main city in Pakistan’s northwest and is close to the lawless tribal regions near the Afghan border where Taliban militants have long held sway.
Violence has become increasingly common in the city. On May 16, two separate bombings on the same day destroyed an Internet cafe and wrecked a bus carrying handicapped children, killing at least 11 people.
The explosions yesterday came a day after a suicide attack on police and intelligence agency offices in the eastern city of Lahore killed about 30 people and wounded more than 300 others.
– Nampa-AP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News