Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Supermarket chain stops labour hearing

Supermarket chain stops labour hearing

WOERMANN Brock has stopped a District Labour Court hearing from proceeding because the company was unable to identify some of the complainants, who were dismissed following a 2001 strike.

The company’s lawyers, GF Koepplinger Legal Practitioners, rushed to the High Court for an urgent interdict against Magistrate Lea Shaanika on Wednesday, as the case was being heard in the District Labour Court in Katutura. In an affidavit filed with the High Court, Woermann Brock’s human resources manager, Hermanus Johannes Louw, said the company only knew of 44 former employees who have taken them to court while the list at the Labour Court had 94 names.He questioned the accuracy of the list and said they had been informed that seven of the complainants had died since their dismissal in 2001.The company wanted Shaanika, in this case the chairperson of the District Labour Court, to postpone the hearing until they have identified the additional names as people who had worked for the company and were dismissed for an illegal strike.Such identification would include a study of the video of the two-day strike as well as getting some data of staff working for them seven years ago.Louw said identifying all complainants was “time consuming” and the company was not in a position to proceed with the case against unknown complainants.However, Shaanika refused to grant a postponement of the case, which was set down for the whole of this week.She said the unnamed 55 people were complainants for the purposes of the proceedings and that their complaints were validly lodged.”The applicant is not in a position to deal with the case for these extra people and the indication that I gather from the first respondent (Shaanika) is that she is going ahead to make a ruling relating to their complaints as well,” Louw wrote in his affidavit.He argued that it was better to postpone the case before the trial started.”No evidence has been led.Should the proceedings, which I submit are defective, be allowed to continue and a review application be brought at a later stage, the cost will be wasted and the applicant will be prejudiced.Witnesses that will testify now will have to testify again in future should the proceedings be set aside,” he said.According to Louw, the 55 unnamed complaints did not lodge their complaint within the prescribed 12-month period and the company was likely to suffer an additional loss of around N$11 million – up from N$4 million to N$15 million.He said any postponement would not be detrimental to the former employees since the case started in 2002 and has already been postponed several times.Judge Louis Muller granted a “stay order” – meaning that the Labour Court case must be stopped.In an affidavit filed with the High Court, Woermann Brock’s human resources manager, Hermanus Johannes Louw, said the company only knew of 44 former employees who have taken them to court while the list at the Labour Court had 94 names.He questioned the accuracy of the list and said they had been informed that seven of the complainants had died since their dismissal in 2001.The company wanted Shaanika, in this case the chairperson of the District Labour Court, to postpone the hearing until they have identified the additional names as people who had worked for the company and were dismissed for an illegal strike.Such identification would include a study of the video of the two-day strike as well as getting some data of staff working for them seven years ago.Louw said identifying all complainants was “time consuming” and the company was not in a position to proceed with the case against unknown complainants.However, Shaanika refused to grant a postponement of the case, which was set down for the whole of this week.She said the unnamed 55 people were complainants for the purposes of the proceedings and that their complaints were validly lodged.”The applicant is not in a position to deal with the case for these extra people and the indication that I gather from the first respondent (Shaanika) is that she is going ahead to make a ruling relating to their complaints as well,” Louw wrote in his affidavit.He argued that it was better to postpone the case before the trial started.”No evidence has been led.Should the proceedings, which I submit are defective, be allowed to continue and a review application be brought at a later stage, the cost will be wasted and the applicant will be prejudiced.Witnesses that will testify now will have to testify again in future should the proceedings be set aside,” he said.According to Louw, the 55 unnamed complaints did not lodge their complaint within the prescribed 12-month period and the company was likely to suffer an additional loss of around N$11 million – up from N$4 million to N$15 million.He said any postponement would not be detrimental to the former employees since the case started in 2002 and has already been postponed several times.Judge Louis Muller granted a “stay order” – meaning that the Labour Court case must be stopped.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News