Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

‘Struggle kids’ take bridge, teargassed by Police

‘Struggle kids’ take bridge, teargassed by Police

THE acrid smell of teargas saturated the air at Oshakati on Friday when Police and ‘children of the liberation struggle’ clashed.

The teargassing followed a five-hour standoff between the Police and about 500 ‘struggle children’ who had occupied Oshakati’s Kandjengedi Bridge demanding to see President Hifikepunye Pohamba. The demonstrators brought north-south traffic to a halt at the bridge. Police say they were forced to use teargas to disperse the demonstrators to open up the road. Speaking to The Namibian after the incident, the group’s spokesperson, John Malumbu, said some of their number had been injured in the Police action and had been taken to Oshakati State Hospital.Malumbu said some demonstrators had fainted as a result of the gas while others had been hit by the teargas canisters. He said among the demonstrators had been infants, but luckily none had been injured seriously.
The teargassing followed five hours of negotiations between the Police, mostly Special Field Force, commanded by Chief Inspector Karl Theron, and the ‘struggle children’ over the opening up of the bridge to traffic. The protesters refused and the Police, decked out in riot gear, opened up with teargas guns. The demonstrators had demanded to speak to President Pohamba, who was in the North to address a May Day rally at Ohangwena, to discuss their continued unemployment. The group of about 500 ‘struggle children’ has been camping out at Swapo’s Oshana headquarters at Oshakati.Group spokesperson Malumbu said although the Police tried to chase them away from both the bridge and the Swapo HQ, they would stay at the Swapo HQ till their employment demands are met. ‘If they do not want us then they have to bring us back to Angola where we were born or get our parents who died because of the liberation of this country alive again to take care of us,’ he said. ‘If not, we will continue demanding our rights of employment.’

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News