Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Stadium squabble in Keetmanshoop

Stadium squabble in Keetmanshoop

THE Keetmanshoop Municipality has barred the Karas Football Region from hosting any of its league matches at the town’s main stadium until the football committee refunds the fees received from vendor stalls at The Namibian Newspaper Cup over the Easter weekend.

A war of words has erupted, with municipal officials accusing the football bosses of overcharging the vendors, while the latter are accusing the council of holding them hostage. The Chairman of the Karas Football Region, Isak Fredericks, said in his correspondence to the municipality that the Town Council ignored the initial agreement that vendors at the tournament should pay the normal fee as set by the council.The council, in a letter to the football authorities from their chief executive officer Jerry Shangadi, argues that the football committee instead charged higher fees and needed to refund the vendors.Fredericks says the municipality and Shangadi were party to a meeting in which they (with the football committee) decided on the rates that should have been charged.The Namibian Sport understands that there were at least ten stalls that had to pay N$400 each for the four days of the tournament.Shangadi believes that the vendors actually forked out more to the football committee and that the committee should refund them about half of the fees.It is not clear how much the vendors should have paid according to the municipal standards.Shangadi was in a meeting when The Namibian Sport tried to obtain more information regarding the rates.Fredericks accused the council of also having some of its workers as vendors at the tournament.”What happened to that money,” he asked.Meanwhile, the municipality has also barred the Karas Football Region from having any matches at the Mina Sachs Grounds, an alternative venue that the football authorities were eyeing.Shangadi said in a letter to Fredericks that: “Quite frankly, we will not allow this ground (Mina Sachs) to be used for NFA related games.”There are still seven matches to go in the league before the season comes to a close on May 20.The Chairman of the Karas Football Region, Isak Fredericks, said in his correspondence to the municipality that the Town Council ignored the initial agreement that vendors at the tournament should pay the normal fee as set by the council.The council, in a letter to the football authorities from their chief executive officer Jerry Shangadi, argues that the football committee instead charged higher fees and needed to refund the vendors.Fredericks says the municipality and Shangadi were party to a meeting in which they (with the football committee) decided on the rates that should have been charged.The Namibian Sport understands that there were at least ten stalls that had to pay N$400 each for the four days of the tournament.Shangadi believes that the vendors actually forked out more to the football committee and that the committee should refund them about half of the fees.It is not clear how much the vendors should have paid according to the municipal standards.Shangadi was in a meeting when The Namibian Sport tried to obtain more information regarding the rates.Fredericks accused the council of also having some of its workers as vendors at the tournament.”What happened to that money,” he asked.Meanwhile, the municipality has also barred the Karas Football Region from having any matches at the Mina Sachs Grounds, an alternative venue that the football authorities were eyeing.Shangadi said in a letter to Fredericks that: “Quite frankly, we will not allow this ground (Mina Sachs) to be used for NFA related games.”There are still seven matches to go in the league before the season comes to a close on May 20.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News