Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Shebeen shooting rampage case sent to High Court

Shebeen shooting rampage case sent to High Court

A FORMER nurse at the Katutura State Hospital who is accused of shooting dead three people in a shebeen in Windhoek in early February last year heard on Friday that he is set to be tried in the High Court.

Triple murder suspect Jekonia Dimbulukweni Hamukoto will face three counts of murder, three charges of attempted murder, alternatively negligent discharge or handling of a firearm, and counts of pointing of a firearm and discharging a firearm in a public place or public road when he goes on trial. Hamukoto was informed of this when he made his latest appearance in the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court in Katutura.Appearing before Magistrate Tuyenikelao Haikango, Hamukoto was told that the Prosecutor General has decided to indict him on those eight charges and that he has to attend a first pre-trial hearing in the High Court on July 24.Hamukoto has been in Police custody since February 2 last year.He was arrested at the scene where three people – Jonas Erastus (22), Festus Aaron (25) and Boni Shuudeni (25) – had been shot dead at Kondjeni Bottle Store, a shebeen at the Katutura Single Quarters, at about 13h45 that Friday.Another three people were seriously injured in the shooting.It is alleged that Hamukoto, who was trained in Cuba as a nurse and was working at Katutura State Hospital at the time of the incident, was at the shebeen when he noticed that his cellphone was missing.He allegedly accused fellow patrons in the shebeen of having stolen his phone and issued an ultimatum that the phone should be returned, before he started firing off shots with a licensed 9 mm pistol that he was carrying with him.Hamukoto has admitted that he was responsible for the shooting, but denies that he intended killing anyone.He pleaded not guilty to three charges of murder and three counts of attempted murder on April 27 last year.Hamukoto was informed of this when he made his latest appearance in the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court in Katutura.Appearing before Magistrate Tuyenikelao Haikango, Hamukoto was told that the Prosecutor General has decided to indict him on those eight charges and that he has to attend a first pre-trial hearing in the High Court on July 24.Hamukoto has been in Police custody since February 2 last year.He was arrested at the scene where three people – Jonas Erastus (22), Festus Aaron (25) and Boni Shuudeni (25) – had been shot dead at Kondjeni Bottle Store, a shebeen at the Katutura Single Quarters, at about 13h45 that Friday.Another three people were seriously injured in the shooting.It is alleged that Hamukoto, who was trained in Cuba as a nurse and was working at Katutura State Hospital at the time of the incident, was at the shebeen when he noticed that his cellphone was missing.He allegedly accused fellow patrons in the shebeen of having stolen his phone and issued an ultimatum that the phone should be returned, before he started firing off shots with a licensed 9 mm pistol that he was carrying with him.Hamukoto has admitted that he was responsible for the shooting, but denies that he intended killing anyone.He pleaded not guilty to three charges of murder and three counts of attempted murder on April 27 last year.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News