Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Salt works at Walvis Bay hit by wildcat strike

Salt works at Walvis Bay hit by wildcat strike

THE Mineworkers’ Union of Namibia (MUN) has condemned an illegal strike called by workers at the Walvis Bay Salt Refiners on Monday.

According to Johannes Kangandjera, the MUN Regional Organiser, the strike was called over protracted salary negotiations which had been ongoing since April. “The workers said they were tired of the negotiations not being concluded.”He said the union had advised the workers not to call an illegal strike, but the approximately 60 workers decided to down tools and block the company gate.The company apparently said they were still willing to negotiate, but only if the employees returned to work.The strike was eventually called off at 15h00 and the workers went back to work.The union official said the process had been drawn out for such a long time as the union demands were much higher than the company offer.The union is angling for a 15 per cent increase; the company is offering seven per cent.Both sides have apparently accused each other of being unreasonable.The salt workers staged a demonstration in August last year accusing the company of alleged discrimination and abuse of power.”The workers said they were tired of the negotiations not being concluded.”He said the union had advised the workers not to call an illegal strike, but the approximately 60 workers decided to down tools and block the company gate.The company apparently said they were still willing to negotiate, but only if the employees returned to work.The strike was eventually called off at 15h00 and the workers went back to work.The union official said the process had been drawn out for such a long time as the union demands were much higher than the company offer.The union is angling for a 15 per cent increase; the company is offering seven per cent.Both sides have apparently accused each other of being unreasonable.The salt workers staged a demonstration in August last year accusing the company of alleged discrimination and abuse of power.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News