Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

SA leaders in Harare to rescue Zimbabwe deal

SA leaders in Harare to rescue Zimbabwe deal

HARARE – Leaders of a Southern African bloc gathered yesterday in Zimbabwe to press President Robert Mugabe and the main opposition leader to break an impasse on forming a unity government.

Mugabe’s lead negotiator Patrick Chinamasa told state media that he was “cautiously optimistic” of reaching a deal with rival Morgan Tsvangirai on how to share control of powerful ministries under the unity accord. Chinamasa told the government mouthpiece Herald newspaper that the meeting “will end the saga over the allocation of ministries to bring finality one way or another, so that the country can move forward.”The security organ of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) organised the summit in Harare after Tsvangirai boycotted talks one week ago in Swaziland, to protest delays in receiving his travel papers from Mugabe’s government.Just six weeks ago, regional leaders had come to Harare to celebrate the signing of the power-sharing deal, which calls for 84-year-old Mugabe to remain as president while Tsvangirai becomes prime minister.The agreement had been hailed as an end to months of deadly political turmoil and a step toward piecing together Zimbabwe’s shattered economy, which is saddled with the world’s highest inflation rate at 231 million per cent.But Mugabe and Tsvangirai have failed to agree on which party should control the most important ministries, particularly home affairs, which oversees the police force.South African President Kgalema Motlanthe, Mozambican President Armando Emilio Guebuza, Swaziland Prime Minister Barnabas Dlamini and Angolan foreign minister Assuncao dos Anjos hope to pressure the two sides into an agreement yesterday to salvage the deal.Former South African president Thabo Mbeki, who brokered the original agreement, said he was “very optimistic” going into the talks.”Progress on the talks is very good,” Mbeki told reporters as he arrived in Harare.Arthur Mutambara, leader of a faction of the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), said he expected the regional bloc to find a way to resolve the differences over the cabinet posts.”The options are limited.We must make sure the September 15 agreement works,” he told reporters.”There is no way Mugabe will go it alone, and Mutambara and Tsvangirai can’t walk away,” he said.The summit “is going to come out with a decision.None of us must go against SADC,” Mutambara added.Nampa-AFPChinamasa told the government mouthpiece Herald newspaper that the meeting “will end the saga over the allocation of ministries to bring finality one way or another, so that the country can move forward.”The security organ of the Southern African Development Community (SADC) organised the summit in Harare after Tsvangirai boycotted talks one week ago in Swaziland, to protest delays in receiving his travel papers from Mugabe’s government.Just six weeks ago, regional leaders had come to Harare to celebrate the signing of the power-sharing deal, which calls for 84-year-old Mugabe to remain as president while Tsvangirai becomes prime minister.The agreement had been hailed as an end to months of deadly political turmoil and a step toward piecing together Zimbabwe’s shattered economy, which is saddled with the world’s highest inflation rate at 231 million per cent.But Mugabe and Tsvangirai have failed to agree on which party should control the most important ministries, particularly home affairs, which oversees the police force.South African President Kgalema Motlanthe, Mozambican President Armando Emilio Guebuza, Swaziland Prime Minister Barnabas Dlamini and Angolan foreign minister Assuncao dos Anjos hope to pressure the two sides into an agreement yesterday to salvage the deal.Former South African president Thabo Mbeki, who brokered the original agreement, said he was “very optimistic” going into the talks.”Progress on the talks is very good,” Mbeki told reporters as he arrived in Harare.Arthur Mutambara, leader of a faction of the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), said he expected the regional bloc to find a way to resolve the differences over the cabinet posts.”The options are limited.We must make sure the September 15 agreement works,” he told reporters.”There is no way Mugabe will go it alone, and Mutambara and Tsvangirai can’t walk away,” he said.The summit “is going to come out with a decision.None of us must go against SADC,” Mutambara added.Nampa-AFP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News