Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Remaining 22 Korean hostages still alive

Remaining 22 Korean hostages still alive

KABUL – The Taliban have not killed the remaining 22 South Korean Christian volunteers held hostage in Afghanistan despite a deadline passing, a Taliban spokesman said yesterday.

“They are safe and alive,” Taliban spokesman Qari Mohammad Yousuf told Reuters by telephone from an undisclosed location. The Afghan government, he said, “has given us hope for a peaceful settlement of the issue”.The Taliban had given the Afghan government until 20h30 on Wednesday to agree to exchange the group for imprisoned rebels, but the deadline passed without word from the kidnappers until Yousuf spoke yesterday morning.South Korea despatched its chief presidential national security advisor, Baek Jong-chun, yesterday to boost coordination with the Afghan government in efforts to secure the hostages’ release.He was expected to arrive in Afghanistan on Friday, which could mean the Taliban may wait until at least then to see what offer, if any, he brings to negotiations.General Ali Shah Ahmadzai, provincial police chief of Ghazni province where the 22 remaining hostages are being held and where one was killed on Wednesday, told Reuters the government was keen to resume negotiations with the kidnappers.He also believed the hostages were safe.”I was awake all night and if the Taliban had killed any of them I would have known,” he said.”We are trying to contact the Taliban for resumption of talks.”The fate of the 22 Christian volunteers had hung in the balance overnight, after the rebels killed one hostage and dumped his bullet-ridden body near where the group of 18 women and five men were seized last week.South Korea strongly condemned Bae’s murder.Nampa-ReutersThe Afghan government, he said, “has given us hope for a peaceful settlement of the issue”.The Taliban had given the Afghan government until 20h30 on Wednesday to agree to exchange the group for imprisoned rebels, but the deadline passed without word from the kidnappers until Yousuf spoke yesterday morning.South Korea despatched its chief presidential national security advisor, Baek Jong-chun, yesterday to boost coordination with the Afghan government in efforts to secure the hostages’ release.He was expected to arrive in Afghanistan on Friday, which could mean the Taliban may wait until at least then to see what offer, if any, he brings to negotiations.General Ali Shah Ahmadzai, provincial police chief of Ghazni province where the 22 remaining hostages are being held and where one was killed on Wednesday, told Reuters the government was keen to resume negotiations with the kidnappers.He also believed the hostages were safe.”I was awake all night and if the Taliban had killed any of them I would have known,” he said.”We are trying to contact the Taliban for resumption of talks.”The fate of the 22 Christian volunteers had hung in the balance overnight, after the rebels killed one hostage and dumped his bullet-ridden body near where the group of 18 women and five men were seized last week.South Korea strongly condemned Bae’s murder.Nampa-Reuters

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News