Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Pandeni foils Okahandja protest

Pandeni foils Okahandja protest

MINISTER of Regional and Local Government, Housing and Rural Development John Pandeni foiled an early morning plan by some municipal workers to demonstrate against the return of Okahandja CEO Regina Alugodhi to office yesterday.

As the group were planning their protest, Pandeni arrived at the offices to make a call for unity and co-operation in the interest of service delivery at the town. He told workers and the council that their personal interests could not be allowed to overshadow the interests of the residents of the town.Pandeni encouraged them to return to work immediately and to raise any further concerns about the decision at a community meeting scheduled at the town for this weekend.Alugodhi was handed her letter of reinstatement after a marathon meeting at the town on Thursday at which the Minister said no grounds for her suspension could be found.Pandeni noted that where either the conduct of Alugodhi or the council was questionable, this was as a result of a communication breakdown between Alugodhi and Mayor Christofien Paulus.Much of the division at the town has been openly attributed to personal differences between the pair – which Pandeni acknowledged as the case at the last week’s meeting.Alugodhi told The Namibian yesterday that she was aware of reports that despite the decision of the Minister, some quarters still opposed her return.But after being out of office for five months, Alugodhi said she was eager to put the past behind her and get on with business.”There will be dissatisfaction here and there, but we must move on.Only time will tell if things will improve.Some were overwhelmed to see me.There will be those who pull their faces, but we are only human,” she said.He told workers and the council that their personal interests could not be allowed to overshadow the interests of the residents of the town.Pandeni encouraged them to return to work immediately and to raise any further concerns about the decision at a community meeting scheduled at the town for this weekend.Alugodhi was handed her letter of reinstatement after a marathon meeting at the town on Thursday at which the Minister said no grounds for her suspension could be found.Pandeni noted that where either the conduct of Alugodhi or the council was questionable, this was as a result of a communication breakdown between Alugodhi and Mayor Christofien Paulus.Much of the division at the town has been openly attributed to personal differences between the pair – which Pandeni acknowledged as the case at the last week’s meeting.Alugodhi told The Namibian yesterday that she was aware of reports that despite the decision of the Minister, some quarters still opposed her return.But after being out of office for five months, Alugodhi said she was eager to put the past behind her and get on with business.”There will be dissatisfaction here and there, but we must move on.Only time will tell if things will improve.Some were overwhelmed to see me.There will be those who pull their faces, but we are only human,” she said.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News