Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Opec to proceed with output cut

Opec to proceed with output cut

CAIRO – Qatari Energy Minister Abdullah bin Hamad Al-Attiyah yesterday said Opec’s decision “so far” was to proceed with an oil production cut of one million barrels per day planned for April 1.

“So far yes, he have this position,” he told reporters in Cairo when asked whether he was confident that the 11-member oil cartel will go ahead with a decision taken last month, at a meeting in Algiers, to reduce on April 1 its production ceiling from 24,5 million bpd to 23,5 million bpd. He said no Opec member has officially submitted so far a proposal to delay the cut, which was decided because of fears that oil prices could crash in the second quarter because of lower demand, as the winter season ends in the northern hemisphere.Attiyah was speaking at the end of a two-day gas exporters’ conference in the Egyptian capital, also attended by ministers and officials from fellow cartel members Iran, Nigeria, Venezuela and United Arab Emirates.He renewed Opec’s official position that the current prices, near US$37 per barrel, are not due to a shortage of supply in the oil market, but rather to “psychological factors and geopolitics,” a reference to the political problems of Venezuela and Iraq.- Nampa-AFPHe said no Opec member has officially submitted so far a proposal to delay the cut, which was decided because of fears that oil prices could crash in the second quarter because of lower demand, as the winter season ends in the northern hemisphere. Attiyah was speaking at the end of a two-day gas exporters’ conference in the Egyptian capital, also attended by ministers and officials from fellow cartel members Iran, Nigeria, Venezuela and United Arab Emirates.He renewed Opec’s official position that the current prices, near US$37 per barrel, are not due to a shortage of supply in the oil market, but rather to “psychological factors and geopolitics,” a reference to the political problems of Venezuela and Iraq.- Nampa-AFP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News