Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Newspaper report leads to release of street children

Newspaper report leads to release of street children

FOURTEEN of 16 street children picked up by the City Police in Windhoek last week have been released into the custody of the Ministry of Gender Equality and Child Welfare’s After-school Care Centre.

The other two were released into the care of their parents, who were traced at Rehoboth and Okahandja. Their release follows a report and front-page photograph in The Namibian on Friday highlighting the plight of the children.The children were detained at the Windhoek Central Police Station after being rounded up by the City Police – allegedly for squatting.At a press conference in Windhoek yesterday, Minister of Gender Equality and Child Welfare Marlene Mungunda said her Ministry had been shocked to learn through the media about the arrest of children, who were in dire need of protection and other basic needs.However, she added, the children had not been arrested for criminal offences.The City Police had simply been conducting a “routine clean-up campaign”.Mungunda said the children would be sent to boarding schools.She called on the public to contact the Ministry whenever they saw street children so that their parents could be traced and reminded of their parental responsibilities.This would also give the Ministry a chance to investigate the home circumstances of these children, she said.The Minister pointed out that it was a criminal offence for parents to neglect, ill treat or abandon their children in terms of the Children’s Act of 1960.She said, however, that many children ran away from their homes because of poverty, while others were abandoned because their parents or guardians were unfit to give them the proper care.”The Namibian Government has strong strategic mechanisms and resources in place to put the children first.No Namibian child should be without education, shelter, care and love,” said Mungunda.According to Mungunda, it was a violation of the children’s rights to publish their photographs.”It is with dismay that the faces of these children are so prominent in a newspaper article and can be identified easily.The Namibian as a well-known paper should have known that it is against the legal frameworks of article 154 and 153 of the Criminal Procedure Act of 1977 and section 8 (2) of the Children’s Act to publish information revealing the identity of children,” said Mungunda.The Swapo Party Youth League’s acting Secretary for Information, Clinton Swartbooi, said The Namibian had committed an offence and could get a fine of N$10 000.Their release follows a report and front-page photograph in The Namibian on Friday highlighting the plight of the children.The children were detained at the Windhoek Central Police Station after being rounded up by the City Police – allegedly for squatting.At a press conference in Windhoek yesterday, Minister of Gender Equality and Child Welfare Marlene Mungunda said her Ministry had been shocked to learn through the media about the arrest of children, who were in dire need of protection and other basic needs.However, she added, the children had not been arrested for criminal offences.The City Police had simply been conducting a “routine clean-up campaign”.Mungunda said the children would be sent to boarding schools.She called on the public to contact the Ministry whenever they saw street children so that their parents could be traced and reminded of their parental responsibilities.This would also give the Ministry a chance to investigate the home circumstances of these children, she said.The Minister pointed out that it was a criminal offence for parents to neglect, ill treat or abandon their children in terms of the Children’s Act of 1960.She said, however, that many children ran away from their homes because of poverty, while others were abandoned because their parents or guardians were unfit to give them the proper care.”The Namibian Government has strong strategic mechanisms and resources in place to put the children first.No Namibian child should be without education, shelter, care and love,” said Mungunda.According to Mungunda, it was a violation of the children’s rights to publish their photographs.”It is with dismay that the faces of these children are so prominent in a newspaper article and can be identified easily.The Namibian as a well-known paper should have known that it is against the legal frameworks of article 154 and 153 of the Criminal Procedure Act of 1977 and section 8 (2) of the Children’s Act to publish information revealing the identity of children,” said Mungunda.The Swapo Party Youth League’s acting Secretary for Information, Clinton Swartbooi, said The Namibian had committed an offence and could get a fine of N$10 000.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News