Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Hamutenya not involved in April 1 fiasco: Naholo

Hamutenya not involved in April 1 fiasco: Naholo

THE Rally for Democracy and Progress (RDP) has denied the involvement of its presidential candidate in the ‘scandal of April 1 [1989]’ in which Swapo fighters clashed with South African forces on the eve of the implementation of Resolution 435.

The RDP’s National Executive Committee and Secretary of Economic Planning, Festus Naholo, said party President Hidipo Hamutenya ‘never participated’ in the plan to have Plan fighters infiltrate the country in contravention of the ceasefire agreement.’You are being told lies in this country… Propaganda is being spread in this country that Hamutenya commanded Plan combatants to come into the country and to cause the scandal and betrayal of the international community and our glorious course on April 1,’ Naholo told a large crowd of supporters at an RDP rally in Walvis Bay on Sunday.He said allegations of Hamutenya being ‘a killer’, and having participated in the Lubango dungeons scandal, were ‘propaganda’.’Hamutenya is feared because he is cleverer than the accusers. They are jealous,’ Naholo said. ‘Hamutenya and all the leaders of RDP never participated in the arrest and the killing of their own people and let them rot in the Lubango dungeons. We are not military people. Hamutenya is not a military man. He is a political scientist and a political leader. He never participated in the hate of his people.’He said Hamutenya was being blamed for the crimes of others.According to Naholo, while Swapo signed a ceasefire, ‘a civilian’ allegedly took it upon himself to command Plan armed forces to enter the country, in violation of the ceasefire agreement.’Hamutenya was not the commander in chief of Plan. He and all our military commanders; the Secretary of Defence, [Peter] Mweshihange, Dimo Hamaambo, Jesus Hawala, [Martin] Shali – they were advising ‘don’t send our troops to death’. We have started with the process of demobilisation. Let us not violate Resolution 435′,’ Naholo went on.The story about who commanded Plan forces to enter the country has been a well-guarded secret in Swapo, with the party claiming that Plan members had had bases in Namibia before the signing of the ceasefire agreement.In November 2005, former President Sam Nujoma put the blame on former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, South Africa and United Nations officials.Nujoma claimed that Thatcher sneaked into Namibia on March 31 1989 and held a secret meeting in which the decision to attack Plan fighters the following day was made.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News