Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Fatal arson attack trial to resume next year

Fatal arson attack trial to resume next year

THE trial of murder suspect Efraim Rachimo Haradoëb, who is accused of killing his girlfriend by setting her on fire at Gibeon in Nov-ember 1998, is set to resume in the High Court after a six-year hiatus in February next year.

Yesterday, Haradoëb (34) appeared before Judge Mavis Gibson for the second time in six days, to be informed that his trial was scheduled to continue from February 6 to 11 next year. By then, just over six years will have passed since the last proceedings in his trial had taken place.In the intervening years, Haradoëb had been a fugitive from justice in Namibia, having escaped from the Windhoek Police Station on February 1 2000.Haradoëb managed to leave the country after his escape, and returned to Namibia only late last month.He was deported from South Africa, where he had reportedly been arrested on charges that he had stolen from a succession of alleged girlfriends he was involved with in that country.Haradoëb is set to remain in custody until his trial resumes, Judge Gibson told him yesterday.She also told him that he would have ample time to sort out his legal representation before the trial continues.His former legal representative withdrew on the day after his escape, which was when the trial had been supposed to continue some five years and five months ago.Public Prosecutor Leonie Dunn informed Judge Gibson yesterday that the legal aid that had been granted to Haradoëb at that stage had not been revoked, but that the Legal Aid Directorate had indicated that it would have to review his situation because he had given “false and misleading instructions” to the lawyer who previously represented him.Haradoëb had already testified in his own defence by the time that he escaped.He denied a charge that he had murdered his then girlfriend, Regina Kastoor, by dousing her with petrol at Gibeon on November 16 1998, and then setting her on fire.The 23-year-old Kastoor, who was a teacher at Gibeon, died in a hospital in Windhoek 10 days later.By then, just over six years will have passed since the last proceedings in his trial had taken place.In the intervening years, Haradoëb had been a fugitive from justice in Namibia, having escaped from the Windhoek Police Station on February 1 2000.Haradoëb managed to leave the country after his escape, and returned to Namibia only late last month.He was deported from South Africa, where he had reportedly been arrested on charges that he had stolen from a succession of alleged girlfriends he was involved with in that country.Haradoëb is set to remain in custody until his trial resumes, Judge Gibson told him yesterday.She also told him that he would have ample time to sort out his legal representation before the trial continues.His former legal representative withdrew on the day after his escape, which was when the trial had been supposed to continue some five years and five months ago.Public Prosecutor Leonie Dunn informed Judge Gibson yesterday that the legal aid that had been granted to Haradoëb at that stage had not been revoked, but that the Legal Aid Directorate had indicated that it would have to review his situation because he had given “false and misleading instructions” to the lawyer who previously represented him.Haradoëb had already testified in his own defence by the time that he escaped.He denied a charge that he had murdered his then girlfriend, Regina Kastoor, by dousing her with petrol at Gibeon on November 16 1998, and then setting her on fire.The 23-year-old Kastoor, who was a teacher at Gibeon, died in a hospital in Windhoek 10 days later.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News