Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Botswana court case continues

Botswana court case continues

NEW XADE, Botswana – The second leg of a landmark case over the right to ancestral land by Africa’s earliest inhabitants, the San Bushmen, started in a make-shift court in the Kalahari desert yesterday.

A group of 243 San Bushmen are challenging their resettlement from the Central Kalahari Game Reserve, one of the world’s largest sanctuaries and an area they have been calling home for the past 20 000 years. The court case started on July 4 with high court judges inspecting settlements built by the state for the San outside the reserve.The Botswana government controversially decided in 2002 to cut off water, food and health services to the hunter gatherers and regrouped them into these settlements.The high court judges last week toured New Xade, a settlement located outside the Central Kalahari Game Reserve.”Basarwa (Botswana term for Bushmen) do not belong to live where animals do as they are just humans like you and me,” said government lawyer and president Festus Mogae’s special advisor, Sydney Pilane.”Relocation is an option any government could consider if it wants to improve the welfare of its people,” he added.He said it was important that the judges saw for themselves the harsh terrain the San had been living in, adding that at new settlements such New Xade and Kaudwane, the government was finally able to provide water, food and clothing – items they did not have access to in the past after abandoning their traditional way of life.London-based Survival International, which has been waging a 30-year campaign in support of the rights of the San, maintains that they were driven out of the Kalahari reserve to make way for diamond mining, a claim the government has rejected as false.- Nampa-AFPThe court case started on July 4 with high court judges inspecting settlements built by the state for the San outside the reserve.The Botswana government controversially decided in 2002 to cut off water, food and health services to the hunter gatherers and regrouped them into these settlements.The high court judges last week toured New Xade, a settlement located outside the Central Kalahari Game Reserve.”Basarwa (Botswana term for Bushmen) do not belong to live where animals do as they are just humans like you and me,” said government lawyer and president Festus Mogae’s special advisor, Sydney Pilane.”Relocation is an option any government could consider if it wants to improve the welfare of its people,” he added.He said it was important that the judges saw for themselves the harsh terrain the San had been living in, adding that at new settlements such New Xade and Kaudwane, the government was finally able to provide water, food and clothing – items they did not have access to in the past after abandoning their traditional way of life.London-based Survival International, which has been waging a 30-year campaign in support of the rights of the San, maintains that they were driven out of the Kalahari reserve to make way for diamond mining, a claim the government has rejected as false.- Nampa-AFP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News