Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Boeing strike costs approach US$4 billion

Boeing strike costs approach US$4 billion

SEATTLE – Boeing says renewed negotiations with its striking machinists broke down over an issue crucial to the company’s “long-term competitiveness”.

A labour leader says the union was being asked to bargain away 2 000 jobs. The failed talks are the latest twist in the five-week-old strike by more than 27 000 commercial jet production workers, with both sides seemingly far apart on key issues as the walkout enters its 39th day yesterday.The strike has halted jet assembly at Boeing plants in Washington, Oregon and Kansas.Talks between the two sides resumed Sunday for the first time since machinists went on strike on September 6 over issues that include job security, pay, retirement benefits and health care.Doug Kight, Boeing vice-president of human resources and the company’s chief negotiator, said the company was disappointed in the breakdown.”We want to resolve this strike so employees can return to work, but we cannot sacrifice our ability to continuously improve productivity and our long-term competitiveness for an agreement,” Kight said in a statement.A sharper-toned statement issued by Tom Wroblewski, president of Machinists District 751, squarely blamed the breakdown on the issues of job security and outsourcing.”The company is attempting to put the union in an unacceptable position to bargain away our members’ jobs,” Wroblewski said, adding that one area of dispute was the job security of 2 000 union members who provide services ranging from material delivery to distribution of parts.Wroblewski contends Boeing wants to outsource those jobs.Boeing spokesperson Jim Proulx declined comment late Monday on the union’s specific allegations.”It has become apparent that the long-term strategy of The Boeing Company is to eliminate these IAM positions and replace the union workers with outside suppliers,” Wroblewski said.”The words ‘flexibility’ and ‘competitiveness’ for Boeing appear to mean eliminating IAM jobs.”In his statement, Kight said.”Given current economic conditions, it is now more important than ever that we retain the ability to respond to a dynamic, uncertain environment.”No new talks were scheduled after a federal mediator adjourned Monday’s session.Before the machinists walked out in September, a two-day contract extension requested by Washington state Governor Chris Gregoire also failed to bring results.Besides outsourcing, other key unresolved issues include healthcare, wages and pensions, Wroblewski said.Analysts have said they think Boeing is losing US$100 million or more in deferred revenue each day of the strike, for a total approaching US$4 billion.Outsourcing has been a key issue for the machinists from the start.Union officials have said their members should at least have the right to bid against outside companies for work traditionally done by the machinists.They note that problems with subcontractors caused repeated delays in testing and delivery of the all-new 787 jet well before the strike.The walkout has further pushed back that programme, all but eliminating any chance of a test flight in the fourth quarter of 2008 as planned and risking further delays of deliveries to customers anxious for the fuel-saving, technologically advanced aircraft.Union members, meanwhile, are receiving US$150 a week in strike pay, less than one-seventh of their average from Boeing.Union leaders have said those payments from the union’s $140 million strike fund, which continues to receive dues revenue from members in non-striking locals, could continue for five or six months.- Nampa-APThe failed talks are the latest twist in the five-week-old strike by more than 27 000 commercial jet production workers, with both sides seemingly far apart on key issues as the walkout enters its 39th day yesterday.The strike has halted jet assembly at Boeing plants in Washington, Oregon and Kansas.Talks between the two sides resumed Sunday for the first time since machinists went on strike on September 6 over issues that include job security, pay, retirement benefits and health care.Doug Kight, Boeing vice-president of human resources and the company’s chief negotiator, said the company was disappointed in the breakdown.”We want to resolve this strike so employees can return to work, but we cannot sacrifice our ability to continuously improve productivity and our long-term competitiveness for an agreement,” Kight said in a statement.A sharper-toned statement issued by Tom Wroblewski, president of Machinists District 751, squarely blamed the breakdown on the issues of job security and outsourcing.”The company is attempting to put the union in an unacceptable position to bargain away our members’ jobs,” Wroblewski said, adding that one area of dispute was the job security of 2 000 union members who provide services ranging from material delivery to distribution of parts.Wroblewski contends Boeing wants to outsource those jobs.Boeing spokesperson Jim Proulx declined comment late Monday on the union’s specific allegations.”It has become apparent that the long-term strategy of The Boeing Company is to eliminate these IAM positions and replace the union workers with outside suppliers,” Wroblewski said.”The words ‘flexibility’ and ‘competitiveness’ for Boeing appear to mean eliminating IAM jobs.”In his statement, Kight said.”Given current economic conditions, it is now more important than ever that we retain the ability to respond to a dynamic, uncertain environment.”No new talks were scheduled after a federal mediator adjourned Monday’s session.Before the machinists walked out in September, a two-day contract extension requested by Washington state Governor Chris Gregoire also failed to bring results.Besides outsourcing, other key unresolved issues include healthcare, wages and pensions, Wroblewski said.Analysts have said they think Boeing is losing US$100 million or more in deferred revenue each day of the strike, for a total approaching US$4 billion.Outsourcing has been a key issue for the machinists from the start.Union officials have said their members should at least have the right to bid against outside companies for work traditionally done by the machinists.They note that problems with subcontractors caused repeated delays in testing and delivery of the all-new 787 jet well before the strike.The walkout has further pushed back that programme, all but eliminating any chance of a test flight in the fourth quarter of 2008 as planned and risking further delays of deliveries to customers anxious for the fuel-saving, technologically advanced aircraft.Union members, meanwhile, are receiving US$150 a week in strike pay, less than one-seventh of their average from Boeing.Union leaders have said those payments from the union’s $140 million strike fund, which continues to receive dues revenue from members in non-striking locals, could continue for five or six months.- Nampa-AP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News