Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Blair sees no ‘systematic abuse’ of prisoners

Blair sees no ‘systematic abuse’ of prisoners

LONDON – British Prime Minister Tony Blair insisted yesterday there is no evidence of “systematic abuse” of Iraqi prisoners by British troops in Iraq, as the furore over photographs depicting the abuse refused to die down.

Speaking in parliament, Blair also declared that photographs in the British tabloid Daily Mirror purporting to show British troops abusing Iraqi prisoners are “almost certainly fake” – his strongest such statement so far. And he reiterated that until Monday, he had not seen an International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) report, presented in February to the US-led coalition in Baghdad, detailing alleged abuses by US and British troops.The Daily Mirror photos, which began to appear May 1, purported to show British soldiers urinating on a hooded Iraqi male and threatening him with a rifle butt to the crotch.The newspaper firmly stands by their authenticity.Blair said: “There is no evidence whatever either of systematic abuse (of Iraqi prisoners), or of ministers or of anyone else refusing to act on allegations of abuse in respect to detainees in British custody.”On the contrary, the only evidence that has been presented are photographs that are almost certainly fake,” he said during his weekly question period in the House of Commons.The Daily Mirror, which editorially opposed the Iraq war, carried fresh allegations yesterday, quoting a reservist as saying that prisoners were routinely beaten or otherwise abused.”It wasn’t right… and it was condoned all the way from the top,” said the reservist, who was attached to the Queen’s Lancashire Regiment in southern Iraq last year.The regiment is currently in Cyprus.The reservist, identified only as “Soldier E”, said he had been “sickened” by what he had seen in the southern Iraqi city of Basra, where British forces are based.Soldier E, the fifth to be cited anonymously by the newspaper since May 1, recounted seeing troops take turns to assault one prisoner inside an armoured personnel carrier.”The decision was made to allow the soldiers to go in individually, one by one, into the back (of the vehicle) and beat this fellow up,” he said.”When it was my turn I refused to do it.I took off his sandbag and gave him water.His nose was half-way across his face.”Reacting to Soldier E’s claims, a Ministry of Defence spokesman said: “The abuse of prisoners is unacceptable and if any allegations are proven, appropriate disciplinary action will be taken against the individual or individuals concerned.”In parliament on Monday, Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon said the Daily Mirror photos, which have become part of a broader investigation by Royal Military Police, looked “increasingly like a hoax”.Doubts about the Daily Mirror photos have centred on the Bedford truck depicted in them, with the Ministry of Defence saying it was of a type not deployed in Iraq.- Nampa-AFPAnd he reiterated that until Monday, he had not seen an International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) report, presented in February to the US-led coalition in Baghdad, detailing alleged abuses by US and British troops.The Daily Mirror photos, which began to appear May 1, purported to show British soldiers urinating on a hooded Iraqi male and threatening him with a rifle butt to the crotch.The newspaper firmly stands by their authenticity.Blair said: “There is no evidence whatever either of systematic abuse (of Iraqi prisoners), or of ministers or of anyone else refusing to act on allegations of abuse in respect to detainees in British custody.”On the contrary, the only evidence that has been presented are photographs that are almost certainly fake,” he said during his weekly question period in the House of Commons.The Daily Mirror, which editorially opposed the Iraq war, carried fresh allegations yesterday, quoting a reservist as saying that prisoners were routinely beaten or otherwise abused.”It wasn’t right… and it was condoned all the way from the top,” said the reservist, who was attached to the Queen’s Lancashire Regiment in southern Iraq last year.The regiment is currently in Cyprus.The reservist, identified only as “Soldier E”, said he had been “sickened” by what he had seen in the southern Iraqi city of Basra, where British forces are based.Soldier E, the fifth to be cited anonymously by the newspaper since May 1, recounted seeing troops take turns to assault one prisoner inside an armoured personnel carrier.”The decision was made to allow the soldiers to go in individually, one by one, into the back (of the vehicle) and beat this fellow up,” he said.”When it was my turn I refused to do it.I took off his sandbag and gave him water.His nose was half-way across his face.”Reacting to Soldier E’s claims, a Ministry of Defence spokesman said: “The abuse of prisoners is unacceptable and if any allegations are proven, appropriate disciplinary action will be taken against the individual or individuals concerned.”In parliament on Monday, Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon said the Daily Mirror photos, which have become part of a broader investigation by Royal Military Police, looked “increasingly like a hoax”.Doubts about the Daily Mirror photos have centred on the Bedford truck depicted in them, with the Ministry of Defence saying it was of a type not deployed in Iraq.- Nampa-AFP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News