Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Assault victim grilled under cross-examination

Assault victim grilled under cross-examination

THE lawyer representing two men in an attempted murder trial on Thursday tried to pin down the 50-year-old victim Max Meyer during cross-examination.

The two accused men, Jacques De Waal and Wolf Kuhn, allegedly repeatedly hit Meyer with an iron bar on his head at his plot at the Hardap Irrigation Scheme near Mariental on April 22 2008.
At the trial in the Mariental Magistrate’s Court on Thursday, Meyer testified that his assailants had threatened to kill him before the attack.
Meyer said De Waal made the death threats after Meyer poured cold water on the suspects’ plans to start a night culling business when approached for financial advice by Kuhn’s father.
‘I told Kuhn senior in the presence of the suspects that the planned night culling business would have far-reaching financial implications,’ Meyer told the court.
Both suspects have pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted murder and assault by threat.
Defence lawyer, Percy McNally branded Meyer a liar, accusing him of exaggeration.
McNally argued that Meyer had told the Police he only suspected who his attackers were, while in the witness box he told the court that he recognised the suspects at the time of the attack.
‘Why did your family offer a reward of N$20 000 if your assailants were known to you,’ McNally asked Meyer.
Meyer responded that he had no idea why his family had offered the reward, adding that only his family could provide answers to that question.
Several times Magistrate Leopold Natangwe Hangalo warned Meyer to stick to answering the questions posed by the defence lawyer.
McNally argued that Meyer has given three different versions about his assailants.
‘In your Police affidavit you stated you only suspected who your attackers were, while during the bail application of the suspects you testified that you could recognise accused number one [De Waal] by his body length and attitude. But today you again testified you had recognised your assailants when accused one grabbed you around your throat at the time of the attack,’ McNally said.
Meyer ascribed the inconsistencies to his head injuries.
McNally further contended that his clients were at farm Neuland in the Mariental district at the time of the alleged attack.
The court on Friday heard that the distance between farm Neuland and Meyer’s plot is approximately 200 kilometres.
In his testimony Meyer said Kuhn did not attack him at all, pointing out De Waal as the main culprit who repeatedly hit him with an iron bar.
‘Should Kuhn be punished though he had not assisted his co-accused,’ McNally asked Meyer.
‘Yes, he deserves punishment because he did not attempt to stop the attack on me,’ Meyer responded.
When the trial resumed on Friday, McNally applied for the court to visit the crime scene at Meyer’s plot before continuing his cross-examination.
Despite an objection by State Prosecutor Moses Shitaleni, the Magistrate granted the application.
The trial was postponed until August 31.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News