Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Afghan challenger drops out of run-off election

Afghan challenger drops out of run-off election

KABUL – President Hamid Karzai’s challenger withdrew yesterday from next weekend’s run-off election, effectively handing the incumbent a victory but raising doubts about the credibility of the government at a time when the US is seeking an effective partner in the war against the Taliban.

Former Foreign Minister Abdullah Abdullah said he made his decision after Karzai turned down his demands for changes to the Independent Election Commission and other measures that he said would prevent massive fraud, which marred the first round of balloting on August 20.Abdullah stopped short of calling for an electoral boycott and urged his followers ‘not to go to the streets, not to demonstrate.’Azizullah Lodin, the head of the Karzai-appointed commission, said he would have to confer with constitutional lawyers before deciding later yesterday whether the run-off would proceed without Abdullah.Kai Eide, the top UN official in Afghanistan, said in a statement that the next step is to ‘bring this electoral process to a conclusion in a legal and timely manner.’The statement did not address whether the run-off should go forward, though UN spokesman Aleem Siddique said it looked impractical.’It’s difficult to see how you can have a run-off with only one candidate,’ Siddique said.A clouded electoral picture further complicates the Obama administration’s efforts to decide whether to send tens of thousands more troops to Afghanistan to battle the Taliban and its al Qaeda allies.The White House has been waiting for a new government in Kabul to announce a decision, but the war has intensified in the meantime. October was the deadliest month of the war for US forces with at least 57 American deaths.Before the announcement, US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton downplayed the prospect of an Abdullah withdrawal, saying it would not undermine the legitimacy of the election.’I don’t think it has anything to do with the legitimacy of the election,’ Clinton told reporters Saturday in Abu Dhabi. ‘It’s a personal choice.’Nevertheless, the contentious electoral process has divided anti-Taliban groups at a time when the US and its allies are pressing for unity in the face of growing insurgent strength.US officials pressured Karzai into agreeing to a run-off after UN-backed auditors threw out nearly a third of his votes from the August ballot, citing fraud.Karzai’s campaign spokesman, Waheed Omar, said it was ‘very unfortunate’ that Abdullah had withdrawn but that the Saturday run-off should proceed.’We believe that the elections have to go on, the process has to complete itself, the people of Afghanistan have to be given the right to vote,’ Omar said.In an emotional speech, Abdullah told supporters that the Karzai-appointed election commission had engineered massive fraud in the first-round vote, but his demands for replacing the top leadership had been rejected.’I will not participate in the November 7 election,’ Abdullah said, because a ‘transparent election is not possible.’Abdullah told reporters later that he was not calling for a boycott, but instead leaving it up to his supporters to decide whether to vote if a run-off goes forward on Saturday. He said he made the decision ‘with a lot of pain’ and hoped his withdrawal would ‘give the people of Afghanistan a chance to move on.’ As recently as Saturday night, Abdullah staffers were saying he would call for supporters to boycott and for the run-off to be delayed until spring with an interim government in place until then. – Nampa-AP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News