Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Zim in bid to end beef shortage

Zim in bid to end beef shortage

HARARE – Zimbabwe’s government has reopened dozens of private slaughterhouses to try to end severe meat shortages after it slashed consumer prices and assumed temporary responsibility for meat sales.

Zimbabwe state media said on Tuesday that Industry and International Trade Minister Obert Mpofu had re-registered 42 private abattoirs – whose licences were cancelled five weeks ago – to try to ease beef shortages in the country. President Robert Mugabe ordered that prices for a wide range of foodstuffs and consumer items be cut by half in June, accusing businesses of raising prices as part of an effort by Western opponents to overthrow his 27-year-old government.Critics accuse Mugabe of plunging the southern African state into an acute economic crisis marked by chronic food, fuel and foreign currency shortages, and the world’s highest inflation rate of more than 4 500 per cent.The government had transferred all beef supply businesses to the state-owned Cold Storage Company, but it has been struggling to meet the demand for meat.”In an effort to improve the supply of beef on the market, the taskforce has with immediate effect approved the re-registration of the private abattoirs,” the Herald daily quoted Mpofu as saying.But Mpofu said the re-registered slaughterhouses were expected to sell meat at government-approved prices while hundreds of other abattoirs whose licences were cancelled could seek permission from the government to re-open.Mugabe’s forced price cuts sparked a wave of panic buying around the country, leaving many urban shops empty of basic goods that were already in short supply as a result of the country’s eight-year recession.More than 7 500 businesspeople have been arrested and fined for breaching the price controls, which analysts say have worsened Zimbabwe’s economic crisis.Businesses say they have incurred heavy losses in the price blitz and are unable to restock shops with basic goods.Nampa-ReutersPresident Robert Mugabe ordered that prices for a wide range of foodstuffs and consumer items be cut by half in June, accusing businesses of raising prices as part of an effort by Western opponents to overthrow his 27-year-old government.Critics accuse Mugabe of plunging the southern African state into an acute economic crisis marked by chronic food, fuel and foreign currency shortages, and the world’s highest inflation rate of more than 4 500 per cent.The government had transferred all beef supply businesses to the state-owned Cold Storage Company, but it has been struggling to meet the demand for meat.”In an effort to improve the supply of beef on the market, the taskforce has with immediate effect approved the re-registration of the private abattoirs,” the Herald daily quoted Mpofu as saying.But Mpofu said the re-registered slaughterhouses were expected to sell meat at government-approved prices while hundreds of other abattoirs whose licences were cancelled could seek permission from the government to re-open.Mugabe’s forced price cuts sparked a wave of panic buying around the country, leaving many urban shops empty of basic goods that were already in short supply as a result of the country’s eight-year recession.More than 7 500 businesspeople have been arrested and fined for breaching the price controls, which analysts say have worsened Zimbabwe’s economic crisis.Businesses say they have incurred heavy losses in the price blitz and are unable to restock shops with basic goods.Nampa-Reuters

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News