Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Zambian editor cleared of porn charges

Zambian editor cleared of porn charges

LUSAKA – A Zambian newspaper editor has been acquitted of pornography charges after she e-mailed officials photos of a woman giving birth unassisted to a baby who did not survive.

The photos were taken in the streets of Zambia’s capital to illustrate the consequences of a health workers strike.Chansa Kabwela was acquitted on Monday after a magistrate said the prosecution had failed to prove that the two photos were obscene. She was arrested in July and had faced up to five years in prison if convicted.Magistrate Charles Kafunda said the photos were not obscene as they were never published in Kabwela’s Post newspaper, and she only e-mailed them to officials including the vice president.’I can’t understand how those pictures were considered pornographic,’ Kabwela said after her acquittal. ‘Moreover, when we sent them out they went to people like the vice president whom we expected to act.’Kabwela said the woman’s relatives gave her the photos that showed the baby emerging feet-first. She said relatives told her the baby suffocated because doctors could not give assistance. – Nampa-AP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News