Yes, toddlers can choke on grapes, and other food hazards every parent should be aware of

M&M’s. Picture: Pexels/Caio

A four-year-old has been left in critical condition after choking on a grape.

The toddler had to be ventilated by emergency responders from Medi Response and transported to a nearby medical facility for further treatment.

The incident once again brings to light babies and toddlers are at a highest risk of choking, since they have not quite mastered chewing.

But, do you know which foods to avoid feeding your kid or how to identify unsafe foods for babies?

An Instagram post by Tiny Hearts co-founder Nikki Jurcutz, that lists some of the choking hazards every parent should be aware of, has gone viral.

According to Jurcutz, here’s a rundown of the common foods that are potentially problematic for little kids, but that can often be served in safer ways.

Marshmallows

Marshmallows are a huge choking risk, which is tricky because they are often served with babycinos. They should be avoided until the child is three years old.

Nuts

Did you know that little ones can choke on even half a nut? Instead, grind them down or use a thin slice of nut paste like peanut butter, and avoid whole nuts until they are five years old.

M&M’s

They are not easily chewable, especially for bubs with no teeth. You should avoid or crush them well. You should also avoid M&M’s with peanuts in them until at least five years old.

Other foods include popcorn, lollipops, sausage hotdogs, grapes, chunks of meat, chunks of watermelon, large blueberries, and chewing gum.

The post has garnered thousands of reactions, with many being surprised that something “so soft” like watermelon could be a choking hazard.

One user wrote: “Thank you! My son eats watermelon very often and in chunks. I’ll start cutting it thin and on the skin!”

Others shared their own watermelon-related choking stories.

“Had a scare this weekend with my one-year-old! First time he’s ever choked on anything it was so scary! I thought watermelon was safe and soft but the chunks terrify me now,” commented another user.

A third wrote: “My daughter, at 7, choked on a bite of watermelon last week. Thankfully, I was there and first aid trained.”

IOL Lifestyle

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!