Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Washington, UN urge talks to end Congo battles

Washington, UN urge talks to end Congo battles

KINSHASA – International leaders called on Wednesday for a negotiated solution in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, where clashes between the army and soldiers of a dissident general threaten to reignite a volatile region.

Government forces using a helicopter gunship and supported by UN peacekeepers have fought thousands of General Laurent Nkunda’s troops in North Kivu province in the past week, killing scores of people and sending thousands of civilians fleeing. The fighting has raised fears of a return to all-out war in eastern Congo, which bore the brunt of a 1998-2003 conflict that sucked in six neighbouring countries and killed some four million people, mainly through hunger and disease.US Assistant Secretary of African Affairs Jendayi Frazer, the George W Bush administration’s most senior African envoy, called on Wednesday for Uganda, Rwanda and Congo to work together to defuse tensions.”There needs to be a regional effort.That could be some kind of coordinated operations if necessary,” she said on a visit to Kampala for talks with President Yoweri Museveni.UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon appealed in a statement for all sides to seek a peaceful solution, while humanitarian chief John Holmes, visiting eastern Congo after talks with President Laurent Kabila on Tuesday, warned of “the real danger of another big wave of displacements and humanitarian problems.”Holmes’s agency, OCHA, says 224 000 people have been displaced since the start of year in North Kivu, excluding the latest fighting.Nampa-ReutersThe fighting has raised fears of a return to all-out war in eastern Congo, which bore the brunt of a 1998-2003 conflict that sucked in six neighbouring countries and killed some four million people, mainly through hunger and disease.US Assistant Secretary of African Affairs Jendayi Frazer, the George W Bush administration’s most senior African envoy, called on Wednesday for Uganda, Rwanda and Congo to work together to defuse tensions.”There needs to be a regional effort.That could be some kind of coordinated operations if necessary,” she said on a visit to Kampala for talks with President Yoweri Museveni.UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon appealed in a statement for all sides to seek a peaceful solution, while humanitarian chief John Holmes, visiting eastern Congo after talks with President Laurent Kabila on Tuesday, warned of “the real danger of another big wave of displacements and humanitarian problems.”Holmes’s agency, OCHA, says 224 000 people have been displaced since the start of year in North Kivu, excluding the latest fighting.Nampa-Reuters

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News