Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Walvis Bay Council transfers plots to new owners after legal tussle

Walvis Bay Council transfers plots to new owners after legal tussle

AFTER a drawn-out legal battle over 88 prime plots at Walvis Bay that were auctioned in December 2003, the Municipality announced that 74 of the properties will now be transferred to their new owners.

“The other 13 properties will be sold after all the necessary formalities as required by law have been complied with,” said the Municipality’s Public Relations Manager, Kevin Adams. “All deposits in respect of [these] properties will be repaid to the purchasers together with interest on such deposits,” he said.Transfer of the 88 sought-after plots was put on ice for nearly two years after property developers Willem Grobbelaar and Herman Davin successfully applied to the court to intervene on the basis that the auction was illegal, unconstitutional and racist.”A specific condition of the auction was that the erven would be offered first to persons classified as previously disadvantaged citizens, provided that only one erf per person is sold.Thereafter all unsold erven were to be offered to the public at large,” Adams said.Grobbelaar and Davin argued that this condition was racially discriminatory since it effectively excluded white potential buyers from the first part of the auction.Adams said: “Not a single purchaser opposed the litigation action that aimed to have [all sales] set aside despite the fact that the litigation was widely advertised in the local news media, received widespread press coverage and was properly served on all such parties in terms of the Rules of Court.”The dispute was finally laid to rest in the High Court last week when the opposing parties reached a compromise to cancel the sale of 14 plots – thirteen in Meersig Extension 1 and one at Langstrand.The agreement was made an order of the court by Judge Louis Muller on Friday and the earlier order that prohibited transfer of properties sold at the auction was lifted.According to Adams, the Walvis Bay Municipality is still committed to achieving balanced demographics in the town’s residential areas and will continue to redress economic imbalances. “All deposits in respect of [these] properties will be repaid to the purchasers together with interest on such deposits,” he said.Transfer of the 88 sought-after plots was put on ice for nearly two years after property developers Willem Grobbelaar and Herman Davin successfully applied to the court to intervene on the basis that the auction was illegal, unconstitutional and racist.”A specific condition of the auction was that the erven would be offered first to persons classified as previously disadvantaged citizens, provided that only one erf per person is sold.Thereafter all unsold erven were to be offered to the public at large,” Adams said.Grobbelaar and Davin argued that this condition was racially discriminatory since it effectively excluded white potential buyers from the first part of the auction.Adams said: “Not a single purchaser opposed the litigation action that aimed to have [all sales] set aside despite the fact that the litigation was widely advertised in the local news media, received widespread press coverage and was properly served on all such parties in terms of the Rules of Court.” The dispute was finally laid to rest in the High Court last week when the opposing parties reached a compromise to cancel the sale of 14 plots – thirteen in Meersig Extension 1 and one at Langstrand.The agreement was made an order of the court by Judge Louis Muller on Friday and the earlier order that prohibited transfer of properties sold at the auction was lifted.According to Adams, the Walvis Bay Municipality is still committed to achieving balanced demographics in the town’s residential areas and will continue to redress economic imbalances.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News