Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

UN reveals al Qaeda’s SA ties

UN reveals al Qaeda’s SA ties

JOHANNESBURG – Two South Africans denied they had any links to al Qaeda on Sunday after the United Nations security council named them as terror suspects.

South Africa’s foreign ministry spokesperson Ronnie Mamoepa confirmed a report in the local Sunday Times that Farhad Ahmed Dockrat and his cousin Junaid Ismail Dockrat were put on the UN list of terror suspects on Friday. Papers submitted by the United States to the security council alleged Junaid is an al Qaeda “financier, recruiter and facilitator” who coordinated the travel of South Africans to Pakistan to train with the militant group, said the newspaper.Junaid, a Johannesburg dentist, told Reuters there was no truth to the allegations.”This is absolutely false.I have nothing to do with al Qaeda or any militant group,” he said.”I am sure our government will exonerate me of these charges.We have a democracy.It is unfortunate that the power of the United States can have an impact on every aspect of my life and could hurt my standing in the community.”Farhad, a cleric who lives near Pretoria, also dismissed the accusations and said he was an ordinary mosque preacher.”These allegations are not true.I preach from the pulpit to students and other members of the public.I have no ties with any militant groups,” he told Reuters.The United Nations could freeze the two men’s assets and prevent them from leaving South Africa, which assumes the presidency of the UN Security Council in March.Asked if South Africa would take action against the two men, Mamoepa said: “We are waiting for directives from the minister of foreign affairs.”US officials say al Qaeda operatives are in Somalia, Sudan and North Africa, while fund raising and recruiting have become a serious worry in South Africa, Nigeria and the trans-Sahara region.The United States believes al Qaeda would like to extend its reach and create a new safe haven in Africa’s vast, hard-to-govern regions.Africa, with its rich energy and mineral reserves, has become increasingly important to Pentagon strategists as they prepare for the expected return of battle-hardened African Islamists from Iraq over coming years.Experts say it is difficult to root out al Qaeda because it inspires militants around the world who have no direct ties to the group but heed its calls for holy war.Nampa-ReutersPapers submitted by the United States to the security council alleged Junaid is an al Qaeda “financier, recruiter and facilitator” who coordinated the travel of South Africans to Pakistan to train with the militant group, said the newspaper.Junaid, a Johannesburg dentist, told Reuters there was no truth to the allegations.”This is absolutely false.I have nothing to do with al Qaeda or any militant group,” he said.”I am sure our government will exonerate me of these charges.We have a democracy.It is unfortunate that the power of the United States can have an impact on every aspect of my life and could hurt my standing in the community.”Farhad, a cleric who lives near Pretoria, also dismissed the accusations and said he was an ordinary mosque preacher.”These allegations are not true.I preach from the pulpit to students and other members of the public.I have no ties with any militant groups,” he told Reuters.The United Nations could freeze the two men’s assets and prevent them from leaving South Africa, which assumes the presidency of the UN Security Council in March.Asked if South Africa would take action against the two men, Mamoepa said: “We are waiting for directives from the minister of foreign affairs.”US officials say al Qaeda operatives are in Somalia, Sudan and North Africa, while fund raising and recruiting have become a serious worry in South Africa, Nigeria and the trans-Sahara region.The United States believes al Qaeda would like to extend its reach and create a new safe haven in Africa’s vast, hard-to-govern regions.Africa, with its rich energy and mineral reserves, has become increasingly important to Pentagon strategists as they prepare for the expected return of battle-hardened African Islamists from Iraq over coming years.Experts say it is difficult to root out al Qaeda because it inspires militants around the world who have no direct ties to the group but heed its calls for holy war.Nampa-Reuters

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News