Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Uganda’s LRA rebels seek talks with government

Uganda’s LRA rebels seek talks with government

KAMPALA – The deputy leader of one of Africa’s most brutal rebel groups said in a rare communication that his Lord’s Resistance Army was ready to hold talks with the Ugandan government to end a 19-year-old insurgency.

Speaking by satellite telephone, Vincent Otti told BBC radio in Kampala that he was calling on the instructions of the cult-like group’s elusive leader – one of the world’s most wanted men following international arrest warrants. “The chairman, General Joseph Kony, has authorised me to talk to you that we want peace talks with the government of Uganda,” Otti said in the remarks broadcast yesterday.”We are now ready to talk peace.”Otti also denied the LRA was behind recent killings of aid workers, and said he was ready to face justice.The LRA rebellion has ruined northern Uganda, uprooting more than 1,6 million people and triggering what the United Nations calls one of the world’s most neglected humanitarian disasters.But with warrants for LRA leaders issued in The Hague, and two military forces agreeing to hunt them down, many in the north say the movement is under more pressure than ever.Otti’s call to the BBC late on Tuesday followed a recent surge in violence in the north, with the military saying 21 civilians were killed in LRA attacks last week.It was not immediately clear, however, why Otti had chosen to make his rare, public pronouncement this week.Uganda’s government was sceptical of the appeal, saying the rebels had used ceasefire calls in the past to win time to regroup and re-arm.”We are not really taking this very seriously at all,” Information Minister Nsaba Buturo told Reuters.”We have been here before.”The minister also questioned why the offer came via media.The rebels have no clear political aims beyond opposing Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni, but are notorious for massacring civilians, mutilating survivors and abducting more than 20 000 children as fighters, porters and sex slaves.- Nampa-Reuters”The chairman, General Joseph Kony, has authorised me to talk to you that we want peace talks with the government of Uganda,” Otti said in the remarks broadcast yesterday.”We are now ready to talk peace.”Otti also denied the LRA was behind recent killings of aid workers, and said he was ready to face justice.The LRA rebellion has ruined northern Uganda, uprooting more than 1,6 million people and triggering what the United Nations calls one of the world’s most neglected humanitarian disasters.But with warrants for LRA leaders issued in The Hague, and two military forces agreeing to hunt them down, many in the north say the movement is under more pressure than ever.Otti’s call to the BBC late on Tuesday followed a recent surge in violence in the north, with the military saying 21 civilians were killed in LRA attacks last week.It was not immediately clear, however, why Otti had chosen to make his rare, public pronouncement this week.Uganda’s government was sceptical of the appeal, saying the rebels had used ceasefire calls in the past to win time to regroup and re-arm.”We are not really taking this very seriously at all,” Information Minister Nsaba Buturo told Reuters.”We have been here before.”The minister also questioned why the offer came via media.The rebels have no clear political aims beyond opposing Uganda’s President Yoweri Museveni, but are notorious for massacring civilians, mutilating survivors and abducting more than 20 000 children as fighters, porters and sex slaves.- Nampa-Reuters

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News