Donald Trump has said he will be “indirectly” involved in the talks between Iran and the United States which are due to begin in Geneva later on Tuesday.
Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, the US president added that he believed Iran wanted to make a deal over its nuclear programme.
The second round of talks in Switzerland follows repeated military threats against Iran over the country’s deadly crackdown on anti-government protests and the ongoing dispute over its nuclear programme.
On Monday the foreign ministry in Tehran said it believed that the US position on the nuclear issue had moved towards “a more realistic one”.
Iran says Tuesday’s meeting, mediated by Oman, will focus on its nuclear programme and the potential lifting of economic sanctions imposed by the US. Washington has previously indicated it wants to discuss other issues as well, such as Iran’s missile stockpile.
Framing the talks as “very important”, Trump suggested Tehran was motivated this time to negotiate.
“I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal,” Trump said, adding that Iran learned the consequences of a tough posture in talks last summer when the US bombed Iranian nuclear sites.
“We could have had a deal instead of sending the B-2s in to knock out their nuclear potential. And we had to send the B-2s,” Trump said, referring to the stealth bombers that carried out the bombings. “I hope they’re going to be more reasonable.”
The president’s threats have come amid a US military build-up in the Middle East over the past few weeks.
BBC Verify has now confirmed the location of US aircraft carrier the USS Abraham Lincoln near Iran using satellite imagery.

The US has also reportedly sent the USS Gerald R Ford, the world’s largest warship, to the Middle East, which could arrive in the region within the next three weeks.
In addition to the Abraham Lincoln’s arrival, BBC Verify has also tracked an increase of US destroyers, combat ships and fighter jets in the region.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi met with the UN nuclear watchdog chief on Monday, saying in a post on X he was in Geneva to “achieve a fair and equitable deal”.
“What is not on the table: submission before threats,” Araqchi said.

Iran has responded to the US build-up with its own show of force. On Monday the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) launched a maritime drill in the Strait of Hormuz, located in the Gulf between Oman and Iran.
The Strait is considered a vital international waterway and oil export route from Gulf Arab states.
Washington has dispatched Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, the White House said on Sunday.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said reaching a deal with Tehran would be “very difficult”.
“I think that there’s an opportunity here to diplomatically reach an agreement … but I don’t want to overstate it either,” Rubio said during a visit to Hungary on Monday. “It’s going to be hard.” – BBC
In an age of information overload, Sunrise is The Namibian’s morning briefing, delivered at 6h00 from Monday to Friday. It offers a curated rundown of the most important stories from the past 24 hours – occasionally with a light, witty touch. It’s an essential way to stay informed. Subscribe and join our newsletter community.
The Namibian uses AI tools to assist with improved quality, accuracy and efficiency, while maintaining editorial oversight and journalistic integrity.
Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for
only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!






