Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Top cops finally suspended in theft case

Top cops finally suspended in theft case

THREE months after criminally charging two senior officers with theft, it appears that the Police have finally decided to suspend them.

While the Police have remained especially tight-lipped about the circumstances surrounding the suspension of Special Branch Commanding Officer Lottinelomba Uusiku and Finance Division Commanding Officer Joseph Kamati, at least this fact was confirmed yesterday. Police spokesperson Chief Inspector Angula Amulungu said yesterday that although the two men have vacated their offices, his office had not been officially informed of this.He referred The Namibian to the Police’s Complaints and Discipline Unit, whose commanding officer, Commissioner Hubert Mootseng, declined to speak on the matter.On March 23, the Special Branch’s Uusiku made his first appearance in the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court after he was charged with the disappearance of an unspecified amount of money that was to be paid to the Treasury in the Ministry of Finance.This money is said to include subsistence and travel allowances (S&Ts), informants’ rewards and bail money.Four days later on March 27, Uusiku was joined on these charges by the Finance Division’s Kamati.Despite having been charged with the crimes by the Police, the two officers remained at their desks for at least the next three months, while their employer awaited recommendations from the Magistrate overseeing their respective disciplinary committees.The two men will return to court on these charges at the start of August.Police spokesperson Chief Inspector Angula Amulungu said yesterday that although the two men have vacated their offices, his office had not been officially informed of this.He referred The Namibian to the Police’s Complaints and Discipline Unit, whose commanding officer, Commissioner Hubert Mootseng, declined to speak on the matter.On March 23, the Special Branch’s Uusiku made his first appearance in the Windhoek Magistrate’s Court after he was charged with the disappearance of an unspecified amount of money that was to be paid to the Treasury in the Ministry of Finance.This money is said to include subsistence and travel allowances (S&Ts), informants’ rewards and bail money.Four days later on March 27, Uusiku was joined on these charges by the Finance Division’s Kamati.Despite having been charged with the crimes by the Police, the two officers remained at their desks for at least the next three months, while their employer awaited recommendations from the Magistrate overseeing their respective disciplinary committees.The two men will return to court on these charges at the start of August.

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News