Customize Consent Preferences

We use cookies to help you navigate efficiently and perform certain functions. You will find detailed information about all cookies under each consent category below.

The cookies that are categorized as "Necessary" are stored on your browser as they are essential for enabling the basic functionalities of the site. ... 

Always Active

Necessary cookies are required to enable the basic features of this site, such as providing secure log-in or adjusting your consent preferences. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.

No cookies to display.

Functional cookies help perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collecting feedback, and other third-party features.

No cookies to display.

Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc.

No cookies to display.

Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors.

No cookies to display.

Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with customized advertisements based on the pages you visited previously and to analyze the effectiveness of the ad campaigns.

No cookies to display.

Banner Left
Banner Right

Steel makers ask EU to block mining deal

Steel makers ask EU to block mining deal

BRUSSELS – European steel makers called Monday on EU antitrust regulators to block a joint venture between the world’s No. 2 and No. 3 iron ore miners, BHP Billiton Ltd. and Rio Tinto PLC, that they claimed could hike prices for iron ore.

Eurofer – which represents ArcelorMittal SA, ThyssenKrupp AG and Corus Group – said the two companies’ plans to combine Australian iron ore operations would allow them to share information on output that could affect industry negotiations to set benchmark prices and volumes.The steel makers said the deal ‘will have the same impact on the iron ore market’ as a merger between the two miners.Last year, BHP Billiton had made a hostile US$68 billion bid for Anglo-Australian rival Rio Tinto. BHP Billiton abandoned the takeover attempt after EU regulators opposed it because they said it could harm competition. Rio Tinto also complained that it was undervalued in the bid.The two miners are now planning a joint production project to pool all their iron ore assets in Western Australia state, a move that could save them billions of dollars. Australia’s BHP will also pay Rio Tinto US$5,8 billion to equalise its contribution to the joint venture.The deal rescues Rio Tinto after it scrapped a US$19,5 billion deal with China’s Chinalco over Australian fears that the deal would give a foreign company a strategic stake in one of the country’s biggest industries. Rio’s balance sheet is weighed down by US$38,7 billion in debt.Combining BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto would have allowed them to overtake Companhia Vale do Rio Doce of Brazil, the world’s largest iron ore miner. – Nampa-AP

Stay informed with The Namibian – your source for credible journalism. Get in-depth reporting and opinions for only N$85 a month. Invest in journalism, invest in democracy –
Subscribe Now!

Latest News